PDA

View Full Version : Got my first Porc

jwblocal701
11/07/2006, 03:55 PM
Well he hasent eaten in 3 days yesterday i put some frozen krill on a peice of tread and he ate it then
will he learn to eat it when i just throw it in?
Also what can i put in the tank to eat the extra that falls out his mouth so it doesnt cause amonia spikes from the leftovers he dosent eat?
Is it better to feed him with lights off since he is a night owl
what lighting is good for him ? dim or bright?
any advice for me plesase let me know

hcahan
11/07/2006, 07:58 PM
Congrads...Porcs are my favorites. Give it a bit of time. Once comfortable, they eat and eat and eat. I feed mine with the lights on, off a pair of tongs. All I do is pull them out and he starts begging. He will also eat if I drop food in the water, but I really enjoy the hand feeding experiance.
Don't worry too much if it takes a few days for himto figure it out, they can go for a while without eating. I drove mine cross country in a ten gallon and couldn't feed him for a whole week. He started eating again within two days of settling in to the new tank and is doing just fine.
Also, they make a huge mess when eating. My Bananna wrasse will pick up some of the leftovers, I also put a serpent star in my sump to clean up some of the mess. Don't forget to do your water changes and you should be fine.

jwblocal701
11/07/2006, 08:16 PM
well i dont have a sump unfortunatally no room
im running a big skimmer and 2 power heads
what could i put in there that he wont eat that will clean up the mess.
right now there are 3 damsels small ones that suprisingly he hasnt eaten yet.
Today he only ate one Frozen Mysis shrimp off a string
AND ALSO pretty cool he ate one out of my hand. He must trust me a little already huh. and after only 4 days now
he should likt eh frozen mysis right??

jwblocal701
11/07/2006, 08:17 PM
OOPS I mean Frozen Krill

LittlePuff
11/07/2006, 09:47 PM
Are they in your 29gal?

jwblocal701
11/08/2006, 08:24 AM
no in aq 56 gallon
last night i found a clump of shrimp that was not eaten i pulled it out and man did it stink
what can i put in there to eat the extras so it doesnt make all the levels sky rocket
but something the puffer wont eat
hes not eating it all and the leftovers is getting behind the rocks where i can barly get at it

johno4
11/08/2006, 09:25 AM
I would put in some damsels or chromis, cheap and easy.

jwblocal701
11/08/2006, 09:29 AM
i got damsels in there 3 of them and they dont do a damn thing
having all the extra dead shrimp on the bottom worries me causei cannot get it all out

Dubbin1
11/08/2006, 09:32 AM
Feed it less so it eats it all. My puffer was a freaking pig that left nothing behind.

jwblocal701
11/08/2006, 09:39 AM
well he eats it and as he chews it comes back out and has no intrest in it then
maybe he is spitting it out?

LionfishFinatic
11/08/2006, 03:33 PM
try ghost/glass shrimp porks usually love them.

sinful9302
11/09/2006, 10:03 AM
this is a little off topic, but does anyone know if a porc will go after a green serpent star?

hcahan
11/10/2006, 10:31 AM
Sinful-I have a GSS in my main tank right now...It's good at hiding. Unfortunately, I have also seen my porc take a bit out of one in the past.

JW- you could put in a handul of hermit crabs. The will eat up some of the leftovers. They will also get eaten themselves eventually and need replacing.

ralphie16
11/10/2006, 01:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8510212#post8510212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sinful9302
this is a little off topic, but does anyone know if a porc will go after a green serpent star?

best answer I can offer you is MAYBE. My puffer left my star alone for a few months and then one day I walk in and he's grow a large interest in it. needless to say, i decided it wasn't going to be a good idea to keep them together and put the star in another tank. basically your puffer might pick on it and possibly sample/pick on it to no good results.

sean48183
11/10/2006, 10:15 PM
get a large hermit to eat left overs. The puffer won't mess with him if he knows whats good for him and these guys scavenge like nobody's business. Just remember to feed him some fresh squid every once in a while. They need that.

jjk82901
11/16/2006, 11:32 AM
monster hermits are really cool too, maybe a large conch too.