PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Photos of Aquarium Authors' Tanks?

acurro
11/07/2006, 05:08 PM
I have noticed something in the hobby: authors of reef aquarium books rarely post pictures of their own tanks. Anthony Calfo, Eric Borneman, John Tullock, Julian Sprung, Charles Delbeek, Mike Paletta . . . they never post pictures of their tanks, or have websites. The only aquarium author I ever recall seeing a tank pic from is Terry Siegal. Presumably their tanks are quite impressive . . . .

Where are the pictures of their tanks?

Makeumyne
11/07/2006, 05:32 PM
Have you ever seen a mechanic's car? A builder's house? A painter's walls? A plumber's plumbing (heaven forbid)?

Maybe a marine aquarist's aquarium runs along similar lines....

trippyl
11/07/2006, 05:53 PM
The Shoemakers son always goes barefoot.

LobsterOfJustice
11/07/2006, 05:59 PM
Most of the people you mention frequent places other than Reef Central. I'm sure you can find pictures on other websites.

PUGroyale
11/07/2006, 06:08 PM
Last I heard... Borneman had some saboteur[s] break into his home and flood his tank with fresh water dropping his salinity which caused the tank to crash :( Terrible thing... the police are investigating.

pete620
11/07/2006, 06:16 PM
I remember that, it turned out that somthing went wrong with his auto top off system.

PUGroyale
11/07/2006, 06:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8499122#post8499122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pete620
I remember that, it turned out that somthing went wrong with his auto top off system.

~ Removed, as I think it's inappropriate.

Some of the Authors listed above I have tremendous respect for... others on that list seem to have very little practical knowledge of reef tanks. They talk a good game but haven't got much hands on experience. I'd take the advice of an experienced RC reefer over a couple of those guys anyday.

Dubbin1
11/07/2006, 06:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8498842#post8498842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Makeumyne
Have you ever seen a mechanic's car? A builder's house? A painter's walls? A plumber's plumbing (heaven forbid)?

Hey now wait a second here. I have done every one of those jobs and I assure you that it is a myth.

Anthony Calfo
11/08/2006, 01:22 AM
there's a truly sad side/consequence too... more than a couple of "us" (hobby mentors/actively published, etc) have had robberies of our greenhouses, homes, etc by fellow aquarists (the theives just took aquarium products/corals/specimens).

Thus... the thought and fear of sharing pics of our aquariums is that our pictures posted online provide 'shopping lists' for the cretans :(

Dr Mac has suffered thefts... Dick Perrin multiple times as I recall... I've had one :(

It is really(!) unfortunate that a few bad eegs could spoil it for the many. But when the hobby pays little or nothing.. and the risk is to our homes and families - its a no brainer. You are not going to see public pictures of our prized collections.

So I offer the reminder here (not needed to most folks indeed), but please accept our apologies and do be considerate of those of us that are gunshy. Its quite contrary to our nature not to share with fellow aquarists... but it feels like its necessary in some such rare cases as this.

Instead... do catch us at conference and local meetings. There we can show pics on laptop, chat, etc without worrying about an archived and large scale advertisement of what we have.

with kind regards, Anthony

Snakebyt
11/08/2006, 04:54 AM
I defenatly hear where you are coming from Anthony. When i was in the reptile business simular things happened, some of the top breeders had there facilities robbed and were robbed of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff.
Hard to believe what the world has come to nowdays.

lucifersreef
11/08/2006, 05:09 AM
wow that is really quite scary. Although i would have to say i am glad to be in Australia, havent heard of anything like that happening. That said a person in a neighbouring town had 12 Australian Green Tree Pythons stolen at gunpoint, all tied up. These pythons are $7000 dollars each when young, and these are mature specimens

lux_06
11/08/2006, 05:43 AM
Anthony my parents used to breed macaws in the uk... were very successful. and what do u know, had people trying to break into our averies all the time to take these breeding pairs. this was without any internet or picture posting so i hear ya mate.

adam

CeeGee
11/08/2006, 06:56 AM
that is insane. I couldn't imagine someone breaking into someone else's house to steal a coral. People are F'ed up. I guess there are truly no limits to how low humanity will sink if given the chance.

acurro
11/08/2006, 07:07 AM
Ignorning the shoemaker's son, the mechanic's car, or the coral thief, I would love to see a picture of, for example, Mr. Calfo's reef seagrass tank. Actually I mentioned seagrass tank pics to Mr. Calfo in a frag swap where he was speaking in New York State.

If a picture didn't show anything rare to the potential coral bandit, but instead showed common corals uncommonly healthy, it would not encourage theft, but would encourage honest hobbiests!

72olds455
11/08/2006, 08:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8501952#post8501952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snakebyt
I defenatly hear where you are coming from Anthony. When i was in the reptile business simular things happened, some of the top breeders had there facilities robbed and were robbed of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff.
Hard to believe what the world has come to nowdays.

Yes, I remember the Bob Clark incident quite well. :mad: They stole all of his high end stuff and killed abunch of little turtles and things like that. I say hang em high.

dc
11/08/2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for popping in Anthony! I don't blame some people a bit for not sharing, it's proven that some people will steal anything. A shame really.

I like this, my Brother is a plumber and he does have lousy plumbing.

R.yumaDaddy?
11/08/2006, 11:16 AM
Theft or not I think "you guys" are setting a bad example for the rest of the reefing community. I understand you cherish your tanks just like everyone else but what if the non famous keepers of RC thought this way? We wouldnt even be able to share the prestigious TOTM. Come on, its not like your posting an address with those tank pics. But if you will choose to remain private I and some more of the honest reefing community will be at MACNA next year where your tanks can surely be shared.

edit: spelling

schiejr
11/08/2006, 11:46 AM
Paletta has some pics in his book, Ultimate Marine Aquariums.

dc
11/08/2006, 12:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8503553#post8503553 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by R.yumaDaddy?
Theft or not I think "you guys" are setting a bad example for the rest of the reefing community. I understand you cherish your tanks just like everyone else but what if the non famous keepers of RC thought this way? We wouldnt even be able to share the prestigious TOTM. Come on, its not like your posting an address with those tank pics. But if you will choose to remain private I and some more of the honest reefing community will be at MACNA next year where your tanks can surely be shared.

They are basically public figures. They use their real names, I'm pretty sure if you post your pictures they won't find R.yumaDaddy? in the phone book. It's perfectly within anyones right not to share for whatever reason they deem.

ETA, let's not bash the experts ok?

TippyToeX
11/08/2006, 12:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8503553#post8503553 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by R.yumaDaddy?

I would love to understand how protecting their home and family from theft is setting a bad example to the reefing community!?!

Makeumyne
11/08/2006, 04:33 PM
I think that it is fair to say that these authors definitely DO share a lot with the rest of us.

I'm horrified that this breaking and entering goes on for coral/equipment, but now that it has been mentioned, I guess that it is not all that surprising.

I'm more than happy to keep reading these people's books and articles, because they do have a lot to offer the rest of us, but really, we all have to put our castles and our families first.

Matthew.

Putawaywet
11/08/2006, 06:58 PM
Wow, just when I thought I had heard it all. Although, I guess in today's morally questionably world that shouldn't be all the big of a surprise.

My biggest fear hasn't been a coral thief, but the 15 year old punk looking for money that nukes my tank just because he can.

Either way, I can't fault anyone's decision, it's their tank, and if they choose not to post pics that's their business. If not, far be it from me to insinuate they are doing a disservice to the hobby!

Brett

awestruck
11/08/2006, 11:18 PM
I agree that the experts do not have to show their tanks--ESPECIALLY if they feel that they or their family may be in harm's way. Profession or hobby, neither is more important than the welfare of their spouse and/or children, and themselves. Obviously, it would be wonderful to view pics but I can certainly understand if they want their own stuff to remain private. I feel very lucky that they even spend as much time as they do trying to help those of us who aren't experts. And consider this: how many RC members refuse to include their birthdate, and/or their hometown, and/or their REAL name etc. in their profile...

R.yumaDaddy?
11/09/2006, 12:08 AM
ETA, let's not bash the experts ok?

WOW... thanks for villifying my post and jumping the gun to defend your heros. I have no ill intent on RC. thanks

ETA never underestimate a mod

MammothReefer
11/09/2006, 12:48 AM
Lets start an RC member Home Alarm system fund so we can see some amazing systems.

wayne in norway
11/09/2006, 05:55 AM
The starting premise is just wrong anyway - there are plenty of pictures of various authors tanks, but they are in paper print rather than online - just go through the various 'standard' tomes and you'll see images from all. Go thro Erics Aq. Corals, and Delbeek and Sprung vol 3 and whatare you missing.

I'm really curious which of those guys isn't perceived as 'walking the walk? I'd also bea in mind a lot of experimental tanks look like rubbish as they're not show

acurro
11/09/2006, 07:32 AM
I might add living in fear is a danger to modern Americans. The world is not as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be. After having lived through two years in New Orleans, Lousiana, I feel priviliged to say this!

NoSchwag
11/09/2006, 09:43 AM
I feel that the "experts" should be required to show their tanks for credibility's sake.

Just my opinion.

rick s
11/09/2006, 10:08 AM
Noone HAS to take anyone's advice offered here on RC.

Over time, after reading many people's posts, you will get a feel for whose advice is credible and spoken from experience: and whose advice is just someone jumping in to have something to say.

I have learned a tremendous amount from the authors mentioned, and others, and am very greatful for their time spent on this open forum.

fishman_CT
11/09/2006, 10:15 AM
Until everyone uses their real names and lists their real addresses, then they shouldn't have to post anything. Apparently in the past they have posted their tanks and prized animals, and this has resulted in thievary and vandalism to their tanks. Would you want to post pictures of your car online with your name, city and state, if you have a BMW M3 that was recently stolen? Decide for yourself. They give enough credibility by writing the books we all read. Isn't that proof enough? If you don't believe they are credible, write your own books!

dc
11/09/2006, 10:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8508678#post8508678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by R.yumaDaddy?
WOW... thanks for villifying my post and jumping the gun to defend your heros. I have no ill intent on RC. thanks

ETA never underestimate a mod

:lol: I'm sure you think you know what you're talking about. You have no idea who my 'heros' are. I'm trying to use a little common sense here.

My comment was not just directed just to you. I've seen enough of this kind of thread to know where it ends up.

goda
11/09/2006, 11:09 AM
j sprungs book cover is his tank.

MJAnderson
11/09/2006, 11:33 AM
My tank is actually a 300g full SPS system stocked with LE corals and a few breeding pairs of Gem Tangs that I picked up when I won the lottery. I just PRETEND to have a crappy 72g bowfront with bleached frags to scare off possible thieves. =)

NoSchwag
11/09/2006, 12:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8510299#post8510299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishman_CT
They give enough credibility by writing the books we all read. Isn't that proof enough? If you don't believe they are credible, write your own books!

:rolleyes:

TippyToeX
11/09/2006, 12:47 PM
No one has a clue who my heroes are either. :D

They are easy targets because they do not hide behind a obscure screen names. One of them posts a picture of their tank (and I've seen it happen) and they are not treated the same as your average Joe reefer. More so there are many unsavory people in this hobby (sad fact but true) who would love nothing more then to make their lives miserable by stealing from or somehow putting them in harms way. Why leave themselves open to such treatment?

It's not a right for us to see their tank to see they know a ton about the hobby. Just read their books, see their webstes, look at their posting history. What is a fancy picture of their aquarium going to prove for their credibility? Some of the mods and staff here don't have a tank up and running right now, does that make them less of hobbyist and screw their creditably over? No freaking way. Some of the most knowledge people in this hobby or on the boards have tiny posting history and do not actively keep reef tanks. Too many people think eye candy for some unhealthy mix of corals and colors equates knowledge.

So just to make themselves look at the more "experty" we have to put their home and family at sake? That is a requirement!?

"Oh we're sorry, I know in the past after you show off your systems people break in and steal thing while you and your wife and kids are sleeping, but hey life's not all that dangerous. Look your not dead, so come on give it up!"

mhurley
11/09/2006, 01:02 PM
I think it's best to close this thread to prevent any collateral damage.

:)