PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead dug a hole is my DSB. What to do?

MJAnderson
11/08/2006, 09:27 AM
Powerhead fell off and dug a hole down to the glass. I did a water change with the 10g I had on hand and mixed another 10g for a change tonight. Wondering if pushing all the sand back right away will be a problem or should I move it back slowly. Not sure which would be more of a shock.

Shagsbeard
11/08/2006, 11:20 AM
Two things... test your water. You can really mess up the chemistry by disturbing a sand bed, or nothing can happen at all... just test to be sure.

Reposition the powerheads where you want them and don't worry about the sand. It will end up where ever the flow will take it. If your flow isn't sufficient to move the sand bed about, you probably should add a bit more flow anyway.

planton
11/08/2006, 01:27 PM
i would push it back and then do the water change, htat way i can get rid of the debris thats being suspended

skeeter_ca
11/08/2006, 01:44 PM
How did it happen? Are you using suction cups to hold the PH. If so don't use it again. it will fall again, they always do. Make a bracket, or silicone it to a magnet cleaner.

MJAnderson
11/08/2006, 01:47 PM
Guilty of using suction cups. I needed it lower as I was trying to get flow across the front of the tank.

Tested the water, no adverse impact. Did 10%. Will move sand and do another 10% tonight and run a canister filter for a bit. Thanks all.