PDA

View Full Version : Injured or sick clown?

JJohn
11/08/2006, 03:35 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I need help quickly. This morning my A. occel. was just fine, at lunch she looked like this:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/JJohn_photos/ClownSpines.jpg

Are these parasite, bristle worm spines, or what? What do I do? The male has a few of these things. Both look rather unhappy but continue to stand vigil over their recent eggs (probably due to hatch today). I have had these guys for a decade and they have never been ill or injured. Everything else in my reef looks fine. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

TOURKID
11/08/2006, 04:23 PM
they dont look like any parasite or illness that ive ever seen or read about. Very peculier though. bristle spines is a really good guess.

I hope they are ok. if they are bristles they will disinigrate soon enough from what ive read.. wish u luck

JHardman
11/08/2006, 05:13 PM
Nope not bristle worm "thorns". I have a GSM that loves to snack on bristle worms and looks like she needs a shave afterwards, and those do not look like bristle worm "thorns".

I wouldn't worry too mush unless they start having other issues.

JJohn
11/08/2006, 08:51 PM
Anyone? I could really use some advice here.

Thanks,
John

acook
11/08/2006, 11:26 PM
It almost looks as though the clown maybe secreting something. The tips are not sharp and are very rounded. The theory of clowns secreting something to help them live anemones is one my favorites. Maybe has a secreting gland problem. Sorry wish I were of more help. I appologize for gramar issues.

Thanks Dale

MarinaP
11/09/2006, 09:51 AM
What is growing on the rock where the nest site is?

JJohn
11/09/2006, 10:30 AM
Marina- The only thing growing at the nest site is algae - three or more different types in small patches. They clean the surface very well before they lay each time. There are many small tunnels in the rock and I have often seen 3" long bristle-worms emerge from these tunnels to feed on the algae.

An update: this morning there were only about 5-6 "spines" sticking out of the female. The male was clear of them. Perhaps i got worried about nothing serious.

Thanks for the help,
John

adtravels
11/09/2006, 11:10 PM
does it apper to be growing out or sticking in?
could be fungal

JJohn
11/10/2006, 12:32 AM
adtravels - It looks like it is sticking into the fish. But it is hard to tell. I also thought it might be some type of fungus or parasite. I was even thinking about a freshwater dip but decided to hold off until I got some advice.

At this point, there are only about four left. I think she will be fine. I am not sure I will ever know what happened. Thanks,

John