PDA

View Full Version : 20G Custom Build - PICS

hammer294
11/08/2006, 04:22 PM
I got a short intro into the build, so please bear with me…
I have recently gotten back into the hobby a few months ago. I setup a 10 gallon tank, had it running for a few months and realized I was in this hobby for good now. Problem was that the 20 gallon was just too small for me and that meant an upgrade. I had a 15-gallon high tank in the garage, so I went with it. Then I built the skeleton of the stand for it and realized the tank was going to be engulfed by the stand and hood. This meant it was time for some research. I found that the 20 gallon high tank would fit on the foot print of the original tank skeleton and decided that was the most feasible.
My other interest was to try and complete and overflow, sump/fuge and closed loop system. I wanted to do this to learn on a smaller scale with all the systems so when I upgrade, and I know eventually I will, I will have a better understanding of how to build the bigger tank. The smaller scale meant that my wallet would not be damaged too much. I also wanted to attempted to make the tank as clean looking as possible.

I do need to thank my brother for being patient with the many questions I threw at him over the past month. Also, DSparks for his excellent thread and setup. I have used more than a few of his ideas and he has been of great help. I would also like to thank distantfire over on N-R.com for being patient and responding to my questions.

Here is how it all unfolded so far over the past month. I have held off on posting this until now because I new my progress was going to be slow. Let me know what you think please….

The 20-gallon system plan –
•Lighting
- 150w MH DE w/ 14k bulb
- Moon lighting
•External overflow with durso standpipes
•Sump/fuge below
- Will be made using a 10-gallon AGA tank and glass dividers
- CSS 65 skimmer
- Mag Drive 7 for return back to main tank
•Closed loop system
- Mag Drive 3
- SCWD

The stand…
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1356403.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1356406.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1356401.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1356405.jpg

I still need to stain the tank stand, just going through the sample stains to find the right one. I am going for a light color stain. From there I had to wait for a few orders of equipment to be delivered. I went ahead and started cutting the teeth to the overflow and the hole for the closed loop. Then I painted the back of the tank blue. I then ordered glass for the overflow box. Once I got it, I constructed the overflow box and super glued & siliconed the box to the back of the tank.

The next step was planning the plumbing layout. Here is how the plumbing turned out…

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640732.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640733.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640735.jpg

After a day or so, I did a fresh water test of everything. NO LEAKS!!!

I should have an update in a day or so.

chocolateblnt
11/08/2006, 04:34 PM
Ehhh I am not sure what is goin' on but your pics aren't showin up for me!

chocolateblnt
11/08/2006, 04:39 PM
ok n/m maybe they were really fresh...

chocolateblnt
11/08/2006, 04:40 PM
I tried running 2 different Mag 7's on a CL and they both LEAKED! ... beware because even though it says internal or external ... they are prone to leaking. They also raise tank temp by a good 3 degrees fahrenheit. I hope you plan on a chiller or lots of fans.

hammer294
11/08/2006, 04:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8505923#post8505923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chocolateblnt
I tried running 2 different Mag 7's on a CL and they both LEAKED! ... beware because even though it says internal or external ... they are prone to leaking. They also raise tank temp by a good 3 degrees fahrenheit. I hope you plan on a chiller or lots of fans.

I will keep a look out for any leaks...ty

chocolateblnt
11/08/2006, 04:53 PM
Yea ... it doesn't matter what series it is ... they get HOT and they can leak. I had one leak really fast and one leak very slow. Just be careful my friend and do a WET TEST for a few days not just hours because sometimes the seal can develop play over the first few days ... put a napkin under the Mag to check ...

Reason why I care is because I had to tear down my entire CL PVC stuff which takes about a half day to put together exactly! I would hate to see you make the same mistake ;)

Otherwise your stuff looks good! I really love the natural wood. I would keep the wood looking light if you do think of staining!

hammer294
11/08/2006, 05:13 PM
chocolateblnt - thank you for the comments and the concern...that is a reason for me posting pics and updates to get other peoples ideas about my setup so i can use them.

I have just noticed a small leak on the overflow box corner.... time to let it dry and silicone that area. Luckly it is an extremely small leak. I have only been running the system when i am in the house so i can notice if any leaks do appear. (I dont want to be at work and something small turn into a flood.)

As for the stain, I am going with a light stain. Maybe the 2-1 Minwax Polyshades.

alien9168
11/08/2006, 05:43 PM
THis looks like an interesting project :)

Yeh...the mags are prone to leaking...
I had a situation where i had one running internally, and i noticed the leak because the surface water was moving...(due to how large the leak was...in between the pump itself, and its output)

compulou
11/08/2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah my Mag 7 return pump which I'm running externally didn't leak but developed a salt creep which bothered the hell outta me. So I just siliconed the entire cap onto the mag and problem solved!!!

P.S. Kick butt job so far!!!

Rivenjim
11/09/2006, 10:56 AM
looking great keep us posted

kase
11/09/2006, 11:20 AM
best look stand and canopy setup i have seen on a 20. i like the setp. i don't you use a diffrent pump for the CL?

hammer294
11/09/2006, 12:12 PM
alien9168, compulou, Rivenjim, kase......thank you for the comments.

Which pump would be a good pump for the closed loop that i wont break my wallet on???

I am currently running the system for leaks...think i have 2 small drips that i have to find a way to stop. Lucky for me the sump is actually under all the plumbing so it can catch any drips for now.

My light will be here Tuesday and by then i will have the stand and canopy stained lightly and treated. Right now i am trying to find the best spot to place it in my room. Got some rearranging to do.

Thanks again for all the comments.

kase
11/09/2006, 01:04 PM
depend how much water you like to move. i have good things about these pumps Ehiem or Velocity and Iwaki .

hammer294
11/10/2006, 09:52 AM
been running the system for a couple days now.... fixed the 2 drips i found and now i am trying to fine tune the durso's. the problem that i am finding is that only one durso is pulling water, the other seems to work only here and there. Does anyone know how to fix this problem??? i am thinking that will help to silence the flow into the sump even more???

i am looking into another pump for the closed loop as i am noticing salt creep on the pump.

chocolateblnt
11/10/2006, 12:25 PM
I would go with either a Quiet One ... even though there is a small chance of getting a noisy one, but they keep cool and don't leak. After that you have the more expensive Ocean Runner's or Eheim's.

What coral are you planning on keeping?

hammer294
11/10/2006, 12:35 PM
right now i have some zoo's and xenia in my 10 gallon to be transfered. I am going to get a torch/hammer/frogspawn, just having decided on which one, and then work up to sps more than likly once the tank settles in.

I was thinking, would a filter sock do anything to quiet to noise in the sump from the durso?

macawdad2003
11/10/2006, 03:27 PM
I really like your setup. Looks great so far. Looking forward to watching the tanks progression.

hammer294
11/11/2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks macawdad2003....I will keep you posted. I plan on the next picture update to be tuesday or wednesday.

DSparks
11/11/2006, 01:10 PM
Looking good hammer! I'm proud!!! I see you went with the American DJ power panel. Nice choice.

Keep me posted bro!

hammer294
11/11/2006, 03:51 PM
DSparks... thank you. Yeah, I went with the power panel b/c it was simply and cheaper then other options. Plus i am clueless when it comes to electrical wiring. I just saw you went with the airline tubing in the dursos. I am about to do the same tonight to try about quiet it a bit more.

DSparks
11/11/2006, 07:10 PM
Good luck with the tubing. I just checked on mine and it's even more quiet than when I made that post earlier this evening.

NanoReefWanabe
11/11/2006, 08:45 PM
wow that is looking very good...i am in the midst of a 20Gal set up myself...i will be posting pics as soon as i have something to show..LOL

RobsReefs
11/11/2006, 09:50 PM
wow, nice setup! love the overflow

CPT. MURPHY
11/12/2006, 07:11 PM
Very cool looking tank!

CPT.

slik1511
11/13/2006, 10:54 PM
looking good bro...

hammer294
11/14/2006, 10:28 PM
NanoReefWanabe... thanks for the comments. Keep me posted on your tank progress.

Robs26reef, CPT. MURPHY, and slik1511...thanks for the comments.

Time for an update...

The stand has been stained and treated. I unfortunately do not have a picture of the color b/c my camera died on my when i was about to take it. I will charge the batteries and post a pic soon.

My lights arrived today!!! He are some pictures of the installation...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1356400740.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1356400743.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1356400745.jpg

Here is a couple tank shots showing the aquascape. Sorry for the blurry pictures. My camera was not cooperating. I will post better pics down the road.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1356400750.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1356400751.jpg

Right now i am battling micro micro bubbles from the sump. Tomorrow I have to go to Lowes and pick up some elbows to slow down the water entering the sump. Looks like a spa where the water is draing into the sump.

The Unit
11/14/2006, 10:46 PM
Looking great, When are we gona see some life in that badboy!
What r your livestock plans by that way?

hammer294
11/15/2006, 12:53 AM
thank you... life is right around the corner. I just tested the water and everything is right on the money. Ordering the cleanup crew Wednesday and then the fun begins after that.

DSparks
11/15/2006, 06:16 AM
Hammer, I think you've probably already seen this in my thread. It's a great way to keep both your drains and sump 100% quiet. It's working great for me so far.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...threadid=344892

hammer294
11/15/2006, 09:34 AM
Hey DSparks.. i tried to view the link you posted and it didnt work? I have seen your thread, but would like to see more about it all before i rip things apart.

hammer294
11/15/2006, 01:46 PM
I am battling the heat from the light right now. My entire back of the tank is open but without fans the air is just not circulating enough. Does anyone know of a cost effective way to handle this???

I have been thinking about getting some IceCap fans. Cutting a spot for them on each side of the canopy and have one directed into the canopy and the other directed out of the canopy. But those fans are not cheap by any means. Or should i consider a chiller which is currently out of my proce range?

If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. The tank is holding at 83.4 degrees. Is this temperature too high to transfer some zoas and xenis into the tank???

DSparks
11/15/2006, 08:45 PM
I'm planning on the Ice Caps. In the end it's much cheaper than a chiller.

hammer294
11/15/2006, 09:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8555771#post8555771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DSparks
I'm planning on the Ice Caps. In the end it's much cheaper than a chiller.

Hey DSparks... are you going to cut into you canopy sides or mount them in the back? I was thinking of cutting slits in the wood on the side and mounting the fans inside the hood. This way it may not be much of an eye sore to the appearance of the tank.

DSparks
11/16/2006, 07:29 AM
Great question. Truth is I haven't decided yet. I'll probably end up with holes and a grate/screen to cover them. While I don't want to make the hood ugly, I also don't want to drop the money on Ice Caps and not get the full effect.

hammer294
11/16/2006, 11:16 AM
I hear ya DSparks.... I think i am going to try and notch grooves in the wood and mount the fans inside the canopy so all you wil see is the notches. I am thinking that realy wont hurt the fans too much???

RobsReefs
11/16/2006, 12:09 PM
Excellent start. Nice to watch a good build with pics keep it up.

slik1511
11/16/2006, 04:30 PM
go with the ice caps i have a fan in my garage you can have. probably need a supply but you can have it chris.

Mike

mr pink floyd
11/16/2006, 04:44 PM
JW, does the MH light have a tempered glass UV shield?

i couldnt see one in the pics, and it would be dangerous not using one

DSparks
11/16/2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks Robs!

Slik, thanks for the offer. If you really don't need it and are willing to fool with shipping then PM me and I'll work out a way to pay you for shipping. Super cool!

Mike, the PFO's do come with a tempered glass shield. It's an all in one package. Well worth the price in my opinion when you consider the benefits.

DSparks
11/16/2006, 08:35 PM
The Ice Cap ballast arrived today. I'm hoping to have the lighting done by the end of the weekend. Right now I'm trying to come up with a good way to DIY a ballast enclosure. What do you all think about the plastic project boxes at Radio Shack? Will heat be an issue?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062285&cp=&origkw=Project+Box&kw=project+box&parentPage=search

six.line
11/16/2006, 10:46 PM
I'm not impressed with them. I worked there, and I thought they were cheap and flimsy. I'd go with something from a hardware store.

hammer294
11/16/2006, 11:14 PM
mr pink floyd - I am not exactly sure that it is tempered glass or not. But i would assume it is. I purchased the retro fit kit from hellolights.com.

Mike - I would definately be interested in the fan. I sent you a PM and just call me about it or I will catch up to you on Monday.

As for a minor update. I have transfered over some Zoas and Xenia. As well as a hernit and a nass. snail. Everything is doing just fine and now the fun begins on stocking. Anybody got some frags they need to get ride of???

Any suggestions on an anenome that a pair of clowns will host?

hammer294
11/24/2006, 01:04 PM
Here is an update...

I picked up some corner molding, stained it to match the stand and placed them on the front corners of the tank. I think it really finishes off the tank.

I have also been playing with the dursos and the flow of the tank. I have almost got it all tuned up.

And the other day I added 2 clowns to the tank. Great to finally see some fish swimming in the tank.

Here are some pics...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1005.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1009.jpg

mr pink floyd
11/24/2006, 01:28 PM
woah, amazing job!

i love the molding on the tank sides!

ive thought about doing that before, but id need to set the tank under to cover the border like you did

i like the aquascape too, theres good spots for all kinds of corals it looks like

this is a beautiful tank, i personally would have liked a black background better, but its still great!

DSparks
11/24/2006, 04:35 PM
DOH! Hammer, sorry for my posts above. I was wondering where those went too. I thought I was posting in my own thread when I wrote those, lol. I'm so sorry for the confusing hijack there. DUMB!

You're making great progress. I like how you mounted your light. I may end up putting some spacers on mine just like you've done here. Nice to see something moving in there. Wish I could move as quick as you.

MrMexReefer
11/24/2006, 06:04 PM
AWESOME tank... I wish i had wood working skills to be able to build something as beautiful as that :D

drummereef
11/25/2006, 01:43 AM
Killer! You've got some mad carpendry skills. :D Tank looks awesome! Keep the updates flowing!

hammer294
11/25/2006, 09:23 AM
mr pink floyd - i thought about the background being black for about 2 weeks and just couldn't do it. All my previous tanks were blue and I guess since that is my favorite color it is hard to stray, lol.

Hey DSparks - Not a problem about the thread mix up. I figured it was a accident and didnt worry about it. I went with spacers for the metal support to try and get more circulation of air. And to hopefully cool the light a bit better once i get my fans installed.

MrMexReefer - Thank you for the compliment. I have never built anything like this before and have very limited access to tools. I just kept it simple, didnt miter anything (although i would have like to, but would need a table saw) and had alot of patience.

drummereef - Thank you as well. I will kept the updates coming once i add some more life to the tank.

Which anenome would you all go for for the clowns to host?

MrMexReefer
11/25/2006, 10:11 PM
our clown hosted a green bubble tip right away... and it has proved to be quite resiliant to my mom's poor tank maintenance.

hammer294
12/14/2006, 11:07 AM
Been a bit with no updates and just finished a few things with the tank. I had a small leak from water leaking out behind the plastic trim around the top of the tank. All is fixed and i am lucky is wasnt a bigger leak. I have been battling heat for a bit now and i have decided to put 2 vantec stealth fans in the back of the canopy blowing in. As well as a vent in the top of the canopy for hot air to escape. I am thinking this will solve the problem.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1234_resized.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1240_resized.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1242_resized.jpg

I have not really stocked anything else in the tank. Got to save some cash right now for the holidays and also to renew the golf membership.

kyrie_eleison
12/28/2006, 01:38 PM
you did all that for a 20 gallon tank?

macawdad2003
12/28/2006, 01:46 PM
Looking Fantastic. If I had to start the hobby over again I may have copied your design :).

chocolateblnt
12/28/2006, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8842895#post8842895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kyrie_eleison
you did all that for a 20 gallon tank?

Some people are bound by space and not their imagination ... keep up the great job my friend! BTW how are your h20 paramaters?

MrMexReefer
12/28/2006, 01:49 PM
Chocolate, you need to make me a sweet gangsta elmo avatar. :D

chocolateblnt
12/28/2006, 01:55 PM
Actually I have one :lol2: I made it for a fellow reefer ... hehehhe enjoy
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e55/chocolateblnt2/NorCalElmo.jpg

MrMexReefer
12/28/2006, 03:22 PM
LMFAO!!! AWESOME!!!! Now to edit the text..... ;) thanks bud!

beelzebob
12/28/2006, 04:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8842973#post8842973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chocolateblnt
Some people are bound by space and not their imagination ...

i sure could roll ya one for that!

great stuff and sweet tank!

chocolateblnt
12/28/2006, 04:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8843943#post8843943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beelzebob
i sure could roll ya one for that!

great stuff and sweet tank!

:lol: I'll match ;)

hammer294
12/28/2006, 05:26 PM
kyrie_eleison - to some this may seem like way too much for a 20g. But here was my thinking... I am on space restrictions and also, I thought why not start small and learn about the systems I put into the tank. This is my first attempt at an overflow, sump/fuge, and plumbing. I will upgrade way down the road when i move out i am sure, but i do not plan on tearing this tank down ever.
I am actually planning a large bookcase right now for my parents for their study and will be incorporating a 55 gallon fish only tank built into the bookcase.

macawdad2003, chocolateblnt and beelzebob...thank you.

For an update .... I have added my first sps today and also a 6 line wrasse.

Water parameters are the following:
pH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Calcium = 420
dKH = 9
Let me know if there are any other tests your may be concerned with. I dotn have any test but will pick it up the next time I am at the LFS and let you know how it turns out.

My hair algea problem is slowly getting under control. I am doing smaller water changes more frequently and that is working really well. Any other ways to get rid of it???

danoreef
12/29/2006, 05:17 AM
how can you say that your not much of a woodworker. From those pics I think you may have missed your calling. Nice job. Its funny but as I was reading your thread I thought in one picture the water looked a little high in the tank. I don't know what you did to remedy the leek in the top trim. I would think that the notches into the overflow would have to be lower. awesome job.

hammer294
12/29/2006, 09:39 AM
hey danoreef...thank you. When I say I am not much of a woodworker it is that I honestly have not had any experience besides crown molding, floor board trim and installing simple tongue and groove hardwood floors. The stand actually took me a few weeks to complete and a alot more scrap wood because of mistakes made.

For the water level issue...I siliconed the outside of the lip in the area of the leak. It is more of a temporary fix. I am debating on which way to go with the groves. To either extend them down further, try to widen them a hair, or just hack off a couple groves???

chocolateblnt
12/29/2006, 02:05 PM
SO your levels rock! ... when are you getting livestock?

hammer294
12/29/2006, 02:18 PM
My livestock list is scattered about in my above posts, but I will make the up to date master list real quick.

5 Nass. Snails
5 Blue Hermits
5 Astrea Snails
2 Emerald Crabs

2 P. Clowns
1 Six Line Wrasse

GSP
Pink Polyps
Brown Zoas
Eagle Eye Zoas
Xenia
RadioActive Green Zoas
1 SPS - I just got this and forget the name off the top of my head right now
Ricordia

chocolateblnt
12/29/2006, 02:23 PM
SO it's gonna be a mixed reef with mostly softies?!

I have that exact fish list ... couldn't be happier with their performance :)

hammer294
12/29/2006, 02:39 PM
Ummm.. I am still up in the air about the direction of the tank as far as stocking. This is my first SPS and if it goes good, I think I am going to lean towards majority SPS.

The fish are awesome, and the six line I just got is probably my favorite

hammer294
01/23/2007, 10:43 AM
Been a bit since i updated the progress of my tank. Here is the updated picture. Working on getting better pictures for some close ups, just not used to the camera yet.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1508_resized.jpg

Since my last update, I have added the following to the tank -

Small torch frag
small hammer frag
5 small sps frags

I am thinking of getting more live rock and making a rockwall on the back of the tank. My current setup has too steep of a face to really have options as to where to place frags. What does everyone think about added more rock?

My calcium levels are right on the money right now, but for those who keep sps, do you add any supplements to your tank?

danoreef
01/23/2007, 04:26 PM
nice rock work.

tigga
01/23/2007, 07:45 PM
hey good job with the stand&canopy construction. Looks amazing! What is the height of the canopy?

FLricordia
01/23/2007, 08:43 PM
I chunked the Mag drives on a 240 and went with Quiet ones instead. To date-no leaks and they run cooler than the Mags. I think it was on Marine Depot site for the Mag drive pumps (I could be wrong on the site) and it said that Mag drive pumps were not recommended for external saltwater use.
Great set-up BTW.

hammer294
01/23/2007, 11:23 PM
danoreef - Thank you. I am actually considering adding more live rock to cover the whole back of the tank. What you think about that idea? I will still keep a cliff over the middle of the tank, this way i cna get to the strainer of the closed loop system. (you really cant see it in the picture above.)

tigga - Thank you. Exterior height of the canopy is 9".

FLricordia - Thank you. It is funny you mention the heat issues with the Mag Drive pumps. I have the Mag 7 in the sump for the return and although i dont have a great concern with the heat right now, I think it will cause an issue in the summer. For this reason I am thinking of changing my current sump design. Gonna put the skimmer in sump and try to find the most quiet exterior pump i can find for the return and the closed loop. I know you mentioned the Quiet one pump, but are there any other quieter pumps out there???

danoreef
01/27/2007, 04:31 PM
IMO I would say wait with the rock because as you start getting corals they will come on pieces of rock and you will want space for your corals.... when I say space I mean size of individual corals and the amount of corals. Oh and also Chris my 20 high DIY project, turned into a 24 gallon aquapod with 150 watt MH...I admit defeat on my DIY project...lol. I posted updates on my thread.

hammer294
01/27/2007, 08:00 PM
danoreef - i hear ya on the rock. my surrent problem though is that my wall is really steep. maybe ill just play around with the current rock.

Sorry to hear about the project that didnt go as planned. Atleast you got a tank up and running though. on my way to check out you thread.

hammer294
01/31/2007, 10:09 PM
My previous aquascape has been bothering me for a while due to how steep it was. I had very limited locations to place frags. So I spent some time today reworking the layout.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1523_resized.jpg

danoreef
02/01/2007, 01:29 PM
stiil looks great! really nice rock and configuration

zombiedust
02/01/2007, 01:43 PM
Niiiiiiiiiicccccceeeeeeee !

kase
02/01/2007, 02:38 PM
TANKS LOOKING GOOD.

i didn't see any info on pump/pumps you went with.
how the flow in your tank?

i planning a 40 gallon breed out. going to be using you stand design w/ a few mods....

EWC88
02/01/2007, 04:05 PM
thats a nice tank! I like that stand. You have pictures of the build of the sand?

bigmac03
02/02/2007, 01:53 AM
fantastic job! your craftsmanship is priceless!

you forsure have to post your next tank, but if you dont then just update this one with all of your latest and greatest lifeforms=)

bump to the top cause i would vote this for setup of the month!

hammer294
02/02/2007, 04:36 AM
Kase - Thank you. I my first post has the specs. I have no problem repeating though. I ran everything with the mags. The closed loop run is using the mag3. And the return pump in the sump is the mag7. That is the one area I wish I read more about before buying. I later heard of stories of the pumps leaking when used externally, as my closed loop is. But I have not had any problems thus far.
Good luck on the new tank plans. That is a huge compliment for you to use some of these ideas and then build off of it as well. What do you plan to mod if you dont mind me asking? Let me know when you get a thread starting so I can tag along.

EWC88 - Thank you. I do have a small amount of other pictures of the build. There are not that great in detail, but I will try to dig them up.

bigmac03 - Thank you. Posting of the next tank will be no problem. I would lie to you if I said I have not thought about it. I am looking to get a few more additions to the tank and then let everything grow out. Hopefully by the time things grow out I will find room to add an additonal tank.

kase
02/02/2007, 07:36 AM
i heard both some leak and some don't. i hope your dosen't :)

i plan to add a book case to the right and computer desk on the left. no canopy, so i can get the "shrimmer" on the walls from the MH...

hammer294
02/06/2007, 10:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9139699#post9139699 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kase
i plan to add a book case to the right and computer desk on the left. no canopy, so i can get the "shrimmer" on the walls from the MH...

Which light do you plan on running? I have the Phoenix 14k and the shimmer and blue tint is great.

Rosseau
02/07/2007, 12:54 PM
Wow, nice tank Johnny Tryhard.

:)

hammer294
02/07/2007, 03:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9181893#post9181893 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rosseau
Wow, nice tank Johnny Tryhard.

:)

thanks

kase
02/07/2007, 03:42 PM
i have always use ICE CAP electronic ballast and love it. 175 watts with ushio 14k bulb, love the color.

kase
02/07/2007, 03:45 PM
forgot to ask do you have any updated pic?

hammer294
02/07/2007, 08:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9183255#post9183255 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kase
forgot to ask do you have any updated pic?

i should be able to get one tomorrow.

hammer294
02/08/2007, 10:20 PM
Here are the updated pics, Should be it until I get my next order in hopefully next week....
FTS
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1560-_resized.jpg
Right Side
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1565-resized.jpg
Left Side
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1568-resized.jpg
Angle from left side to show overhang/cave in aquascape
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135640IMG_1566-resized.jpg

I have ordered 2 new pumps, Eheim 1250 for the sump return and an OceanRunner 3500 for the closed loop. The Mags are running way to loud. I plan on running the Eheim externally from the sump and replanning the sump as well. Shippment doesnt come in till Monday Afternoon so I have some time to put the sump together.

kase
02/09/2007, 10:16 AM
good choice with the pumps. you'll be happy with them.

LionfishFinatic
11/06/2007, 04:14 PM
UPDATES??????

hammer294
11/06/2007, 10:17 PM
i wish i had some......i actually had the tank crack on me. Luckily i was home when it happened, but the tank cracked in the back and started dumping water all over. I determined the reason it cracked was because i built my overflow to be to deep. It held to much water and put stress on the back of the tank.

I had to quickly start syphoning out the water into a 30 gallon tub i had and had to keep my fish, corals, clams and rock in there. but i was unable to build the new tank in time and lost a bunch of stuff. i had to scratch my original plan during the quick build and used 4"pvc cut down the middle for an internal overflow. just didnt like it after i lost everything so i will be starting the new build shortly. Hell, i built the stand so i cant just quit the hobby. So i have been throwing together a few idea to better the tank and will be ordering new glass at the local glass shop for the new overflow shortly. But i did run into this link for an internal overflow that has caught my attention...
http://glass-holes.com/main.sc

But i think i will stick with my orignal and just shorten the depth of the overflow.

I should have that done by the end of the month, if not sooner and will post again.....

danoreef
11/07/2007, 09:01 AM
sorry to here about the mishap. don't let it discourage you and jump back in head first.
I tried to do the same thing as you with the tank and diy overflow... I also cracked the tank and now have a 24 gallon AP that has been up and running for about 10 months it has quiet a few modifications and I am very pleased with it.

there is nothing quite like these beautiful little slices of coral reefs that we put together.
happy reefing
keep us updated.