PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crabs

northbay-reefer
11/08/2006, 05:22 PM
For a while the trend was using both snails and hermit crabs as part of the clean up crew, and then recently, alot of people stop using hermit crabs and only use snails. My question is: what are you opinion on hermit crabs in the reef tank ? are you still using them ?

steve the plumb
11/08/2006, 05:35 PM
hermits are better at cleaning small cracks andcrevaces where snails don't get into.Lets not say that once algea form over and grows out that the snails won't get to it.I used both and found that it works.The biggest problem with hermits is they will kill the snails if they get a hold of them and they sometimes kill eachother over shells.If you just keep snails more than likely they will multiply where I have never seen hermits do so.You will have less snail deaths without hermits and the bonus of them breeding means you having a larger clean up crew VS a diminishing clean up crew.Its your choice.They are cheap so if you don't mind buying every year you can do so.I find snails last longer hermits tend to die off or kill each other.I to will go snail only they do a great job along with a few sand sifting starfish.

IPowderBlueTang
11/08/2006, 05:36 PM
I still use them and once in awhile they go on a frenzy and attack my snails. I also have larger shells for them. So they take down snails once in awhile but are part of my clean up crew!

northbay-reefer
11/08/2006, 05:44 PM
Steve and powderblue, Do you guys prefered scarlet over blue legs hermit since they tend to be less agressive ?

auto_loader
11/08/2006, 06:03 PM
I keep snails with my scarlet hermits with very little aggression towards the snails.