PDA

View Full Version : what gobby?

TekCat
11/09/2006, 05:18 PM
Greetings All fish gurus! :) I don't know much about fish so I'd like to pick your brains on this:
90g reef, 1-2" sand bed with worms, etc... I want to get some a gobby but don't know what kind. My wishlist is that this fish stirs up sand bed, but doesn't make mess around; and doesn't prey on sand bed fauna (worms, etc); and it has to be reefsafe. Is there such creature? (or should I just get a cuke?)

Thanks in advance.

philip5510
11/09/2006, 06:54 PM
dragon goby

SDguy
11/09/2006, 07:47 PM
There is no goby that will stir/sift the sand but not eat the faune...why else do you think they are sifting the sand? :D

I think maybe a goby/pistol shrimp pair might be a good choice. The shrimp does lots of digging/moving around sand...essentially stirring it up, but there isn't much actual sifting going on. JME.

hth

hgbarwick
11/09/2006, 08:04 PM
yes their is all gobies stir up sand and eat the faune. I would do a yellow watchman goby with a tiger pistol shrimp.

TekCat
11/10/2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks. I now know that they eat whatever they can find in sand. :) duh :)

I guess, a cuke and some nassarius is my best bet then.

Thanks again :)

EvilMel
11/10/2006, 01:52 PM
Barwick is right though...a tiger pistol shrimp would really stir up your sand quite well.

TekCat
11/10/2006, 02:19 PM
Is tiger pistol shrimp are reef safe?
And would it be enough sand for them? I have at most 1-2" of Seafloor Special Grade reef sand from CaribSea.

hgbarwick
11/10/2006, 03:38 PM
I have a randals pistol shrimp. Yes tigers are reefsafe but they do get large about 4" so their probably isn't enough sand for one. I would go with a randals only gets 2" and their is enough sand in your tank for one.

flameangel88
11/10/2006, 10:17 PM
Dragon Gobies are great but made sure the base rocks are touching bottom glass otherwise you're asking for trouble. They dig tunnels on the entire tank and very messy but they will turn over your sand bed for sure.

YWG and Tiger Pistol are great but they don't venture far from their burrow. You will need many pairs to do the job. Add a pair as they are fun to watch.

My 2 Serpent Stars hang out on top of the rocks more than on the sand bed.

I would go with a couple of cukes.

Here's the picture of my pair of Dragon Goby:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/DSC_0005Large.jpg