PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Mimic Tang and a Vlamingii Tang?

chuckh
11/09/2006, 08:47 PM
Yellow Mimic Tang and a Vlamingii Tang. Anyone have any input on this? Says Vlamingii will get along with other tangs and some places say Yellow mimic may fight with other tangs. The Vlamingii was in the tank first and i noticed he was chasing the yellow around rather fast. You think the Vlamingii was just letting him know his territory?

Thanks
Chuck

surgeon_fan
11/09/2006, 09:13 PM
well the vlamingi will get to 36", whereas the mimic will only reach 10", hope you have a very large aquarium to put them in. as far as temprement, the genus naso is reportedly (and my observations concur) the most docile genus of tang, the acanthurus genus is one of the most fierce. individual size will probably play a big part in their relationship as well as tank size. a huge tank is a must for a vlamingi!!

snorvich
11/10/2006, 07:07 PM
Actually a vlamingi would look rather nice in a 600 FOWLR tank. They are gorgeous and have a nice personality. What else do you have in there?

zoebeaglezoe
11/10/2006, 08:47 PM
the do get big but not 36" more like 24" as long as they look different you should be ok color shape. I have a vlamingi , kole,foxface he goes after the foxface on a daily basis but it just letting him know whos boss............as long as he's not physically attacking him you should be fine

surgeon_fan
11/10/2006, 08:59 PM
well i guess if you want to keep a 24" fish in a 90 gallon tank go ahead. i go off the published size that they obtain in the ocean, not the stunted size they grow to in subsized aquariums. i would love to have a vlamingi, it is my favorite fish, but i feel even my 600 is to small for this ocean cruiser. just my opinion, not meant as a diatribe.

snorvich
11/11/2006, 10:07 AM
I have dived with them, they are definitely gorgeous but they do get big. I watched them getting cleaned at a neon goby cleaning station. Certainly inappropriate for a 90 gallon tank, though.