PDA

View Full Version : Drain-line submerged or slightly above?

Norboo
11/09/2006, 09:57 PM
I have been working on my 54 corner tank and sump for the last several weeks to quiet the noise down. I made the dorso standpipe drain much better and took the noise right out. However, the sump is loud! Do you guys run your drain line submerged in the sump or slightly above? I also shaved the baffles on my overflow box to match my pump (Ehuim 1260). Pump is pretty strong and has a lot of circulation with the loc-line circular spray. Since I am getting so much water movement and I can aim it in any direction. I will be taking out 3 Maxijet 1200 and add few more loc-line attachments.

Back to my question. Drain-line submerged or slightly above the water level? How do you keep the sump noise down to a minimum?

Thank you.

orb
11/10/2006, 01:23 AM
mine is submerged, and it's quiet. if you can angle the return pipe to hit the glass and sheet down, may make it better for you if you want the pipe to be above the water.

Keelay
11/10/2006, 04:12 AM
Run it under water. I plumb mine to a "durso" in the sump. That helps with microbubbles and eliminates noise.

Another reason besides noise not to run above water is salt spray. IT goes everywhere.

Norboo
11/10/2006, 06:13 AM
If you submerge, don't you get the bubbling (boiling) noise?

30mini
11/10/2006, 08:21 AM
You will get the bubbling noise if you have a lot of air coming down and into the water. That's why a lot of people put the extra dusro down inside the sump so that air can escape before going into the water!

Norboo
11/10/2006, 08:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8516856#post8516856 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 30mini
You will get the bubbling noise if you have a lot of air coming down and into the water. That's why a lot of people put the extra dusro down inside the sump so that air can escape before going into the water!

Extra durso in the sump? Any pictures?

Keelay
11/11/2006, 03:19 AM
A sump durso does the following:
Think of it running in reverse. The water has air in it coming down the drain. It enters the durso. The outlet of the durso is submerged (like the overflow inlet). There is an air hole above the sump water level that allows the air to escape(same as overflow). The sumberged part is a different from the overflow durso in shape and size of the outlet.

Usually this is a larger diameter pipe to slow the water down and it extends deep in the water to provide better bubble trapping.