PDA

View Full Version : Tunze osmolator fault

The_Taz_Devil
11/10/2006, 01:42 PM
Hi,

My top up reservoir ran dry today (long day and forgot to top it up) but I have now been unable to get the unit working again despite filling the reservoir. I thought there was a fail safe to prevent the pump running dry on this system ?

Thoughts or ideas on resolution please.

Thanks alot

gcarroll
11/11/2006, 03:40 PM
There is probably air in the pump. you need to turn it upsode down to let the air escape.

The_Taz_Devil
11/12/2006, 08:40 AM
No, Ive tried that - looking at the controller when I switch the unit on it displays a yellow pump on (but nothing from the pump) and green level led (the IR sensor is a good 2" off the water surface). It seems like there is no "power" going to the pump or I have a faulty controller and/or pump ?

rvitko
11/12/2006, 04:33 PM
The pump may be bad or the connector is corroded.

The osmolator pump is not harmed by running dry for some time. It has a 10 minute time out, meaning if a fill is not registered within 10 minutes, because the pump is bad or the reservoir is empty or the tank is leaking, it shuts off.

The_Taz_Devil
11/13/2006, 06:42 AM
This whole system is only 2 weeks old Roger so I doubt its the connector which is corroded, are you talking about inside the contoller or somewhere else ? This is also the first and only time the reservoir has run dry, its a little disconcerting that the pump did not manage to withstand its first dry experience.

rvitko
11/13/2006, 11:02 AM
Running dry would not harm the pump, it either was a dud or the connector that connects the pump to the lead coming off the osmolator is loose or got wet.

The_Taz_Devil
11/13/2006, 11:29 AM
Ok - if it did get wet (not saying it did but I guess its possible) then would this effectively short something out in the controller box ? Is it correctable ? Can I just re-wire the lead from the controller to a different connector and then back to the pump ?

rvitko
11/13/2006, 01:31 PM
In my experience if it gets wet and is corroded you need a new connector, if it is not corroded, you just need to dry it off and reconnect the wires.

The_Taz_Devil
11/13/2006, 01:53 PM
Ok thanks Roger, will give it a try.

The_Taz_Devil
11/14/2006, 06:20 PM
Ok connector changed - no difference, went back to my old top up system and used the same connector and it worked so guess its a pump or controller fault. Will be sending it back to Tunze UK - not too happy to be honest having only had it 2 weeks. I swapped it for a system that still works and wanted the features the osmolator offered, i.e the IR sensor, 2nd sensor and fail safe to prevent the pump running dry........ seems one or all have let me down.

rvitko
11/15/2006, 08:44 AM
The pump running dry is not the cause of this, I strongly suspect the pump was just a dud, every other component is tested numerous times, each sensor is tested, the board is tested on an oscilliscope and the finished unit is tested. The pump can run dry and that is not the purpose of the protection, it is to prevent the pump from running continuously if the tank is leaking or there is some defect in installlation. The pump is a simple DC motor behind a double seal, running an impeller. It looks like the small motors you buy at hobby shops and it is not water cooled.

The_Taz_Devil
11/15/2006, 05:28 PM
Ok no problem, if the pump is a dud, how come it worked quite happily until the dry reservoir issue - surely it wouldnt have worked atall ?

Also the controller was not picking up the correct water levels - i.e displaying "level" when it was clearly 2" below the IR sensor and also showing "pump on".

Its being sent back tomorrow Roger so thanks for your valuable input as always. Will update when I get the unit back and have an explanation about the problems found.