PDA

View Full Version : Small schooling fish

Gluestick
11/10/2006, 06:16 PM
What are some examples of smaller schooling fish?
I really like the blue reef chromis, but I've read they get up to 5"
This would be in a 90g
What else schools besides chromis, and how big do the different types of chromis get?

hgbarwick
11/10/2006, 07:41 PM
Cardinal fish would be a good option. Pajama cardnels only get 2".

SitBackAndWatch
11/10/2006, 09:09 PM
scissor tail goby's seem to hang out in groups soemtimes

JoeyK@OCMD
11/10/2006, 10:58 PM
Black and gold chromis are cool. They don't school in a very tight pack, but mine have all stayed small, with the exception of one who changed sex ang grew big. I also like bangai cardinals.

Gluestick
11/11/2006, 07:03 AM
banggais are very cool. i didn't know they schooled, I thought it was only one to a tank.

JoeyK@OCMD
11/11/2006, 08:52 AM
I have had a school of 16 in my tank for 4 months. They are very docile. they start to spread out an explore, but as soon as other fish or inverts investigate, they all rush back to this one overhang that they seem to like

brad23
11/11/2006, 01:19 PM
They school and are very easy to breed, David Lee breeds them all the time.

JoeyK@OCMD
11/11/2006, 02:17 PM
I consider them the one of the best fish available for peaceful reef tanks. Even though they are slightly timid, they still have great personality, and once established in your tank they have incredibly long life spans in captivity.

SDguy
11/11/2006, 03:20 PM
Banngai and pajama cardinals will eventually pair off, and kill off odd balls. Best bet for schooling (or as close as you can get in a home aquarium) are threadfins and some other tiny ones mentioned in another thread that look like tetras. But IMHO, why you'd go through all the trouble of having a reef tank and throwing tetra clones in there, I can't imagine.....

Gluestick
11/11/2006, 06:01 PM
That's why I like the bangaiis
They don't look like what's in my FW tank. The blue reef chromis are cool looking, but the bluegreens are too plain, imo. Maybe I'll just get a few banggaiis, they are way cool. are they hermaphroditic or do you have to get a male/female pair?