PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the application of weldon 40 (photo)

BrokeColoReefer
11/10/2006, 08:08 PM
I plan on using the pin method to build my tank. Im plannng on making some jigs to hold the sides perpendicular.
My questions:
how much should i mix up for a seam? Im guessing i cant do more then one seam at a time with the 25 minute use life of weldon 40. My longest seams are going to be 48".

how long should i wait between seams?

what happens with the excess weldon when you pull the pins out. Does it evaproate off like weldon 3 and 4?

Is a routerd edge with a carbite up cut bit to smooth for proper adhesion?

I plan on playing with it a bit before the tank build on sunday, just would like to know what to expect.

here is a photo of the tank as it is now. (not me in the photo, im not nearly that tall LOL )

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/BrokeColoReefer/IMG_5881.jpg

Thanks!!

BrokeColoReefer
11/10/2006, 08:12 PM
Sorry for the double post guys..i thought i lost the first one.

BeanAnimal
11/10/2006, 10:00 PM
I would NOT use the WO 40 for the seams... I would use 3 or 4. The solvent cement will give you a stronger joint than the 2-part stuff. You will have a very hard time mixing and applying the 40 in a manner that will produce strong consistant joint. Also the "PINS" method works by capillary actions. The solvent is wicked into the narrow gap between the arcylic sheets. The pins simply ensure that the gap is wide enough to allow enough solvent to flow, yet narrow enough to ensure cappilary action. WO 40 will not pull itself into such a gap.

Bean

BrokeColoReefer
11/11/2006, 12:49 AM
Hmm, i read just the oppisit here on reef central . I bought the #40 because i read here on reef central that its the stuff to use for larger tanks. There was actually a thread with step by step using the pin method and #40. I will have to find it again. Now im confused. Thank you for the info.

BumpinTJ24
11/11/2006, 03:09 AM
#40 does yield the strongest joint. Like 4000psi after 1 week as opposed to i think 2500psi w/ #3 or #4. The tank must be annealed so that the joints dont graze. It's like gluing in a piece of acrylic in between the two sheets to be jointed. As opposed to #4 which "moleculary" bonds (melts) the two pieces to be joined together. The local shop here used 40 without annealing and after a month or so every joint looked like shattered acryilc, really really scary. Especially because they were selling alot of large tanks. I think #4 would be better. Hopefully James(Acrylics) can chime in on this. HTH

Ram

BrokeColoReefer
11/11/2006, 01:07 PM
I got some 4, case closed. James commented on the duplicate thread, i appreciate the comments.
Any idea on how long i should wait to move it to do the next joint?
Wish me luck!!

BumpinTJ24
11/11/2006, 01:37 PM
45 mins. to an hour

BumpinTJ24
11/11/2006, 01:38 PM
oh yea, Good luck. Just dont be nervous, it will reflect in the joint. Go in confident, trust me. What are the dims of that tank, looks like a sweet size.

Ram

BrokeColoReefer
11/11/2006, 01:54 PM
36d 48w 26t
Im not to nervous, i have made lots of stuff, nothing this big though. Im maticulious with my edge work, so it should all work out. Thanks again everyone.