PDA

View Full Version : RO water

Titus77
11/11/2006, 12:28 AM
I have a fridge that has the water and ice in the door, and I was wondering if it would be alright if I could use that water instead of going out and BUYING the R/O water. This water goes through two filters: one under the sink, and one in the fridge. So my question is........................will it be the same as RO?

Keelay
11/11/2006, 02:10 AM
What filters does it go through? Typically ice and water machines will use just a sediment filter. Sometimes a carbon filter for taste and reduction in certain chemicals. If it is RO water it will be because of the "filter" that is under the sink. You'll have to see what this is.

If it's not an RO filter, It's not much better than tap water.

DrHank
11/11/2006, 07:50 AM
R/O water uses a semi-permiable membrane to force purified water through a very fine mesh (membrane) this eliminates about 95% of the impurities. DI takes it a step further and binds ions to the resin removing another 3-5%. I know it seems more expensive (and initially it is) but a DI filter is a teriffic investment. A TDS meter will let you know when it's time to change filter cartridges or resin. Check out E-bay for some low cost sources. You can get a unit with a tank and faucet and use as a home drinking water filter as well. Good for your tank and good for your family. You may even be able to convince your Mom and Dad to buy it for the family. Good luck!

Buckeye Hydro
11/11/2006, 08:00 AM
I think Keelay hit the nail on the head - that "filter" under the kitchen sink may be an RO system. What does it look like?

Russ @ BFS