PDA

View Full Version : bta splitting..help!

baussie
11/12/2006, 08:25 AM
I have a neon green w/ purple tips that started to split, but has now come off its rock! So now I have a donut bta laying in the bottom of the tank. My instinct is to leave it alone, but not being a anemone expert, I'm not sure if this is the best course of action.
I do not want it fouling my tank if something is wrong. There is no mucus, etc coming from the anemone, however it is deflated, but tentacles are moving. The 'hole' looks larger than it did earlier this morning. Should I leave it alone...should I move it to a separate container...should I help it split with the aid of scissors...???? I think assisting a dog or a cat with delivery of their puppies or kittens is a heck of a lot easier than this!! What to do..what to do! Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!! dr

baussie
11/12/2006, 09:05 AM
update...a little bit ago the body had inflated. I just checked on the bta and its tentacles are now inflating. The split is no larger than it was.

TOURKID
11/12/2006, 06:10 PM
Once they do split, they can move around and find a good spot. But the bta usually puts its foot onto two different rocks to split. so im not sure how its going to split in the sand..

Anyone chime in on this one?

55semireef
11/12/2006, 06:57 PM
Since it came off the rock, it might try and heal itself. What I would do though is finish it off and physically split it myself. I would not try putting it back on the rocks because you would have to put it in a precise position for both foots to grab onto so it could finish splitting. I would just finish the split. If your BTA does not make it, don't feel horrible, this is a weird situation that does not occur very often. Do what you can and provide the best conditions for it. BTW, what do you think caused it to split? Did you do a major water change previously?

baussie
11/13/2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the responses. The bta was purchased on what appeared to be one rock..the guy at the lfs said it looked like it was splitting. I didn't think he knew what he was talking about.
When I got it home, the bta was off the rock...which was now not one rock but two. My inspection of the bta revealed the hole in the middle. The hole is where the mouth would be and is clean through the foot. The anemone is fully open this morning.
So I should help the bta finish the split? It was twisted into a pretzel when I first turned on the lights. Any suggestions on how to cut it?