PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Fiji Leather toxic to Anemones???

sailbuminsd
11/12/2006, 12:33 PM
My BTA hasn'y been doing very well for the last couple of days. Typically, he doesn't like water-change day and behaves oddly for a day or so after depending on amount of water changed. That being said, he hasn't been happy for almost 3 days now, Although at night he is MOSTLY bulby.

About 3 days ago I introduced (what I think is) a yellow fiji leather (the guy at my LFS said he thought it was a toadstool, but it is BRIGHT yellow).

Today I consulted my new book (Marine Invertebrates by Shimek, p69) and it reports that Leather Corals (Lobophytum spp.), "react poorly with sea anemones or mushroom polyps, secreting potent chemicals that can cause these animals to move away for die" although there is no mention of this in the anemone section. [insert panic here] Then I consulted another book and there was no mention of this danger to anemones (Aquarium corals by Bornman)

Can anyone confirm this? or has anyone had this problem?

*Note: This is a re-post from the newbi foreum, no response there

graveyardworm
11/12/2006, 05:10 PM
Not sure if my response is very helpful but, I have a yellow fiji, and a large sarco plus 2 smaller sarco in the same in the same 30 gal breeder with a pefectly healthy and growing LTA. This tank is however connected into several other tanks with over 300 gals total, but there are also other sarco in the other tanks.

drives300
11/12/2006, 09:09 PM
I would not put the anemone under the coral. Then the leathers shed their shedding is toxic to the anemones. As long as you keep them well distanced you should be ok

sailbuminsd
11/13/2006, 06:28 PM
thanks for the replies

Baalz
11/14/2006, 07:46 AM
I have two Rose BTA's in a 24g right under a Yellow Fiji leather and have had no problems. Ive had this leather for years in different tanks and it has never harmed anything.

graveyardworm
11/14/2006, 08:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8529864#post8529864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sailbuminsd
[quote]My BTA hasn'y been doing very well for the last couple of days. Typically, he doesn't like water-change day and behaves oddly for a day or so after depending on amount of water changed. That being said, he hasn't been happy for almost 3 days now, Although at night he is MOSTLY bulby.

Do you age your change water, and are you using RO/DI to mix it with, and what % do you typically change at once? How long have you had the BTA, and how long has the tank been setup?

About 3 days ago I introduced (what I think is) a yellow fiji leather (the guy at my LFS said he thought it was a toadstool, but it is BRIGHT yellow).

Assuming the fiji wasnt QT'd it is possible that some thing disagreeable to the BTA was introduced with the leather. Also possibly when the leather was introduced possibly it went into chemical warfare mode due to the stress. QT'ing may have prevented both from happening.

Today I consulted my new book (Marine Invertebrates by Shimek, p69) and it reports that Leather Corals (Lobophytum spp.), "react poorly with sea anemones or mushroom polyps, secreting potent chemicals that can cause these animals to move away for die" although there is no mention of this in the anemone section. [insert panic here] Then I consulted another book and there was no mention of this danger to anemones (Aquarium corals by Bornman)

Can anyone confirm this? or has anyone had this problem?

*Note: This is a re-post from the newbi foreum, no response there

Finally how is it doing now its been awhile since your first post?