PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Darknes
11/12/2006, 02:06 PM
I just wanted to say hi.

I'll be graduating with a ME degree soon and I'm looking at a job that's in Pueblo right now, and just wanted to see how the saltwater stores are there. If I happened to move to the area, I'd also be very interested in joining SCMAS since Nebraska doesn't have any reef clubs.:rolleyes:

Anyway, can anyone tell me what the local fish stores are like in Pueblo? I saw in the Yellow Pages that there are a few, but I didn't get a chance to check them out when I was in Pueblo.

racer69
11/12/2006, 05:26 PM
Well, I live in Pueblo and about the only store is Pet Paradise. I don't buy much from them as I find better products 40 miles to the north.

As far as joining SCMAS, just come to a couple of meetings and you are there. You will find many knowledgable people in this area.

Welcome to SCMAS, and looking forward to meeting you.

Darknes
11/12/2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks, I look forward to meeting fellow hobbyists as well if I end up moving there. So does Colorado Springs have a decent fishstore then?

Also, I see in your interests it says flyfishing. I love fishing, and one reason I want to live in the Colorado area is for trout fishing. How is the trout fishing around Pueblo? I know there's a large lake to the west of the town, and it looks like theres several streams around there as well.

murfman
11/12/2006, 06:44 PM
Welcome to SCMAS, hope to see you in the near future.

racer69
11/12/2006, 06:48 PM
Well, Pueblo Reservoir is not a good trout fishery but there is good fishing within 1 hour and great fishing within a couple hours drive. I like to take the camper up to the mountains a couple times a year and just catch fish all day long.

Yes, Co Sprgs has four or five quality fish stores with very competitve pricing. Also there are many hobbiests in the area who like to trade. This is a very friendly club from my point of view. If you have a chance to be here around Dec. 2nd we are having a frag swap and there should be tons of good stuff available.

Darknes
12/08/2006, 05:07 PM
Well, I took the job so I'll be moving to Pueblo in less than a month. I'm hoping my tank won't have any problems when I have to move it.

Just curious, anyone have any suggestions on apartments to check out in Pueblo?
Thanks.

racer69
12/08/2006, 08:50 PM
Whay is your budget...there are some nicer upscale and everything below. This is great, now I will have 5 reefers down here. Movin on up.....

murfman
12/09/2006, 12:23 AM
Todd is cornering the market!!! Maybe you will get a real descent fish store now!

Darknes
12/09/2006, 09:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8711074#post8711074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by racer69
Whay is your budget...there are some nicer upscale and everything below. This is great, now I will have 5 reefers down here. Movin on up.....

Well, I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment that will allow a fish tank and a cat. I would also prefer a garage and washer/dryer hookups. I'm just looking for some decent apartments in a nice area of town. As far as price, $500-$750 a month is probably a reasonable range for me.

As for my saltwater background to introduce myself:

I started off with a 29 gallon tank about 2-1/2 years ago. That tank was a real slow process as I was learning the ropes to a reef tank, starting with just a few soft corals. I initially bought an eclipse tank with the hood and such since the guy from the store told me it would be great. I tried to add so many mods to that thing that it started to be a mess.

This summer, a neighbor sold me his 55 gallon breeder tank with the works (hood, stand, 400W MH lights, etc.). I don't have any current full tank shots of it, but maybe I can post a few shots of my critters. It's nothing great, as I've been on a student's budget.

What I currently have:
2 percs
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Orange-Spotted Goby
Longnosed blue-spotted puffer
Cleaner shrimp
Anemone Crab

Xenia
Condi Anemone
encrusting gorgonians
few mushrooms
some zoos
GSP

My goal for my tank in the near future is to get rid of most my rock that's covered in encrusting gorgonians (if anyone wants any, you can have as much as you want :lol: ). I want to add lots more live rock and get a sump/fuge added to the system. As for coral, I'd like to turn the tank into a zoo and ricordia tank.

Darknes
12/09/2006, 09:26 AM
Lets see if I can post a few shots. :)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/70044201.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7004485.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7004453.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/70044126.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7004468.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/70044202.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/70044203.JPG

murfman
12/09/2006, 10:11 AM
"Darkness.....go bigger, go BIGGER" (he says in his Darth Vader voice)

racer69
12/09/2006, 10:21 AM
I will try and check around the apartment scene this week.

As far as a decent fish store goes, I don't even want to think about something like that at least with me running it.

Darknes
12/09/2006, 10:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8713650#post8713650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by murfman
"Darkness.....go bigger, go BIGGER" (he says in his Darth Vader voice)

HAHA, I wish!
Most apartment complexes don't like tenants having large tanks. Maybe in a year or so if I find a decent house in the area, I could upgrade to a larger tank. I would love to have a sps tank.

In the meantime, maybe I could turn my old 29 gallon into a dwarf octopus tank. That would be pretty cool. :D

reefkoi
12/09/2006, 06:03 PM
I lived in an apartment years ago, 12 actually, and I helped a friend (name withheld) lift a 240 gallon acrylic tank up 3 stories to the top apartment. We pulled it up with a rope (like we were a crane) up the outside wall and through the balcony slider. I bet the people below were crapping themselves watching this 8 foot long beast go by the window. Makes me laugh.
So dont worry its been done before, just do tell them your plans when signing the lease.
Chris

Freshbrew
12/11/2006, 04:55 PM
I would like to say welcome and GO BIG RED!

racer69
12/11/2006, 05:17 PM
Chris, someday your mailbox is going to mysteriously disapear!!!!lol

Joe69
12/11/2006, 09:03 PM
Welcome Darknes, where did you get hired at in Pueblo? This will help on where to look for apts.

Darknes
12/15/2006, 12:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8728823#post8728823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freshbrew
I would like to say welcome and GO BIG RED!

Hey, a Husker fan! :D

I'll be working at Trane, but the location of the apartment is not really a factor. I don't mind driving, and it doesn't seem like it takes that long to get across town.

I'll be coming down the week after Christmas to check out the apartments. Any suggestions on places to look at, or at least nice areas of town to live in?
Thanks

Reet15
12/15/2006, 12:10 PM
Welcome Darknes!! Southside rocks!

racer69
12/15/2006, 12:52 PM
Well the southside may rock (I agree), but the nicer apartments are on the north side. There is a new complex called the landings that has garages and another near the corner of Pueblo Blvd and Hwy 50 that is also new and has garages. When you are here I would look into those two first.

normanviking
12/15/2006, 04:31 PM
Are you a HVAC GUY? My girlfriend works for Johnson Controls.

Darknes
12/18/2006, 10:06 AM
racer69, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check those places out.