PDA

View Full Version : Will a Serpent star eat my skunk cleaner?

doin' fin
11/12/2006, 04:14 PM
Just got a serpent star in my tank. Did some research on them before hand and know that they are reef safe and will on occasion turn carnivours (big star eats tiny to little fish). But what about my skunk cleaner shrimp????? Can't believe I forgot about him... Watching the star in the tank feel around the shrimp I am afraid the shrimp is doomed- but am hoping not. Please let me know what you think- and what should I do?

Thanks. :(

GL
11/12/2006, 04:45 PM
What color? what size?

I have three brown/red in my tank, the bodies are bigger than a silver dollar. They have never bothered my shrimp or fish.

I've heard where some, the green I think, are more risky as they are opportunistic. If they can catch it they will eat it.

doin' fin
11/12/2006, 05:10 PM
He is grey(ish)? in color with a body disc the size of a quarter or so (approx). He is non-spiny and his arms have bands of white stripes flanked by the greyish body color.

Have seen pictures of the red ones and they are unbelievable. Would love to have one but heard that they are pretty sensitive. Plus our LFS has a hard time getting them in stock.

We put the star in on the shelf that the shrimp was under and it was like he went right for him. We fed the tank and the shimp moved away and the star stayed put. Maybe it was just acclimation?

On another note- my husband is a Kenseth fan and my son is a Johnson die hard. Tough house to be in on race days! :)

GL
11/12/2006, 05:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8530991#post8530991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by doin' fin

Have seen pictures of the red ones and they are unbelievable. Would love to have one but heard that they are pretty sensitive. Plus our LFS has a hard time getting them in stock.

On another note- my husband is a Kenseth fan and my son is a Johnson die hard. Tough house to be in on race days! :)

Maybe someone else could chime in but I think you you just keep him fed you won't have a problem.

I've had the reds since I set up the tank, never lost one.

Just tell them you deciced to become an Earnhardt or Gordon fan and you'll really have an interesting household. :rollface:

doin' fin
11/12/2006, 05:28 PM
What do you feed them? I have heard of target feeding with frozen food and a turkey baster but the LFS said he would do fine on the waste from our 2 Tangs.

We will see how this one does and I will keep a red one on my wish list for the future. Do you have picts?

Earnhardt and is my son's backup! We tease Dad by saying we are Rainbow warrior fans. Drives him NUTS! It is a fun sport.

GL
11/12/2006, 05:57 PM
Take a piece of shrimp, fish, squid or what ever, use a wooded skewer and just stick it down by him, he should take it off the skewer...

doin' fin
11/12/2006, 06:08 PM
That should ne cool to watch. How often do you feed?

GL
11/12/2006, 06:15 PM
If I see them out during the day then I know they are hungry and I'll feed them. Otherwise I let them cleanup like they are supposed to do. :)

doin' fin
11/12/2006, 06:22 PM
Thank you GL! I hope to have a happy starfish and I hope your driver/team does well!