PDA

View Full Version : what do I do about condensation in the top of my tank?

crazyguy34834
11/12/2006, 05:36 PM
I have an acrylic 100g tank and with the water at 80 deg. F, I have a lot of condensation on the inside of the top. So much condensation that I know that the light will be effected if I do nothing. I am wondering if there is a way to prevent condensation from forming without drilling holes in the top for venting. I want to keep my tank covered so fish don't jump out but I also want a clear top.

the top of the tank does have holes in the back that are used for equipement but the rest is topped.

I was wondering if a small fan would help if it is blowing into the underside of the top. was wondering how this would affect the temp. of the water.

My lights are not on top of the tank yet. When I do put the lights on, would the heat from the lights heat up the top so that it is the same temp. on both sides preventing the condensation?

Sk8r
11/12/2006, 06:17 PM
take the lid off, not only off the tank, but off the sump. YOu can keep the rim to elevate your lights, but going topless aids gas exchange and makes it easier to balance heating and cooling. A small fan would definitely help, but you risk your tank's life if your temp soars over 85 when you put lights atop a closed tank. This is one opinion.

J. Montgomery
11/12/2006, 06:38 PM
I'm rocking the eggcrate to prevent fish from jumping out, as well as aid in gas exchange likst Sk8r said.

Dubbin1
11/12/2006, 08:44 PM
Yup eggcrate is the answer to your problem. hint: eggcrate is the light defuser that you see on florescent lights. You can get it at any Lowes/Home Depot.