PDA

View Full Version : True or False?

Indermark
11/12/2006, 09:58 PM
I was told that TBS is Limestone that is aquacultured rock? No one on RC it was a person at a store. Is this true or false. I didn't know what to really believe. The empression I got from that person was that is not good.

Ryan

ybenormal
11/13/2006, 01:01 AM
They don't have a clue what they are talking about. Either that or they are just trying to convince you to buy their stock of dead "live rock".

here is an excerpt from information posted on TBS' website (http://tampabaysaltwater.com/about/tbs4.html) (bolding and italics added by me...):

"Well a lot of years had passed since we started our endeavors of being live rock farmers, and we had finally reached the point of having a permit to actually place our seed rock in The Gulf of Mexico! We had located a source of good quality reef rock from a company called Dravo right here in our home town of Tampa. I had originally spoken with the foreman, a nice guy named Reease, who told me of their operation in the Bahamas digging and widening the canals in Freeport. The byproduct was beautiful coral rock that they were going to bring into Tampa on a 600 foot container ship. "

wickedfood
11/13/2006, 12:55 PM
I have TBS rock and can tell you from experience that the rock is terrific. I found myself rushing home from work everyday to see what might appear next, and something always did! I'd challenge anybody to find liverock with half as many sponges, feather dusters, beneficial worms, cup coral, clams, coraline algae, macro algae, barnacles, etc. Ofcourse you'll probably get some crabs and maybe a mantis shrimp also, but that just added to the fun for me. In fact, I just caught my mantis, and traded him at the LFS.

blewando1
11/14/2006, 03:33 PM
I just got my 40 gal package in October. I was a little worried the rock would be dense and lack holes/passages. Mine rock is pretty darn nice. Some big pieces have all sorts of passases and interconnecting holes. Great growth of algae, tube corals, cup corals and sponges. All still looks good after the cycle and some things are definatley growing. A few sponges have shrunk back some. The most "boring" pieces of rock have been smaller ones (fist sized) that lack a lot of holes. Some rocks are heavy, but most have been great.

Jocko
11/16/2006, 12:28 PM
Well I think the question was more about the rock itself not the life on the rock. The rock is fine. I know many people who have gotten TBS rock over the years and never had a problem. I have no water quality problems with TBS rock.

If you like the look of TBS rock, then go for it. Unrelated to buying rock, you might want to try visiting other LFS in your area. That one sounds kinda sleezy. It's a wonderful thing when you find an LFS you can trust.

figuerres
11/27/2006, 05:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8532950#post8532950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Indermark
I was told that TBS is Limestone that is aquacultured rock? No one on RC it was a person at a store. Is this true or false. I didn't know what to really believe. The empression I got from that person was that is not good.

Ryan

think about this:

coral MAKES limestone!

the "real difference" is that what we want is limestone that has not been compacted into solid rock.

see what I mean ?? :)