PDA

View Full Version : Reef Safe Glue??

freezb
11/12/2006, 10:43 PM
I have to glue some plastic and pvc IN my tank, so i want to no wath is the better glue for UNDERWATER gluing, for a reef.

thanks wath do you think of Mr. Sticky's Underwater Glue ???? it is reef safe?

thank's patrick

Serioussnaps
11/13/2006, 02:10 AM
plain old super glue is safe....any superglue that is "cyanosomething" first part of the word says cyano then something with it...dont feel like digging it out

Also, how much glue do you plan on using? if it is alot then superglue may or may not be ok

mr sticky's dont know...sorry, sounds like it is probably one of those two part epoxies

freezb
11/13/2006, 09:23 AM
i need to use it underwater to fix loc-line on the output of my aquapod 12 gallons, i want to be sure that the glue will be safe!

Ironsheikh
11/13/2006, 04:24 PM
Ive used gorilla glue before --it actually needs water to cure and havent had any problems

freezb
11/13/2006, 04:49 PM
So somebody have a glue to recommand, i have to use it underwater?? for two pieces of pvc

marmari
11/13/2006, 04:54 PM
I have the same question, I just got a frag of a coral, and its not supported in any way, just a bare coral from a crate, for now I have just put a rubber band around it and stuck it to the rock...

hansmatt
11/13/2006, 05:09 PM
the rubberband will work for some coarls, softies, glue or epoxy putty for sps & lps. I found that though reefsafe, the cyanoacrylic glue does give off some residue that will affect some corals for the short term at least if glued in-tank. I've been gluing in tank water in a small rubbermaid container & letting it cure for 5 min, then replacing the coral & tossing the water. You should see the pods & tiny shrimp go nuts running out of the rock bits when the glue hits the water. That was evidence enough for me that something potentially bad was being released before it dried. After it cures there seems to be no worry. Used it for zoos, xenia, mushrooms, even montipora.

marmari
11/13/2006, 05:21 PM
Well, the rubberband so far holds it, and the zoo frag has opened, however, the "stump"down below doesnt seem to touch the rock,(the rubber band just supports the wall, or stem of the flower like zoo) and without that, how can it get attached? I do not have an epoxy putty, but would that work instantly? I have bought "marine putty" just a green sort of glue putty that dries white, and it is not like glue, u have to use a lot of force to stick the coral into it, which may kill a fragile coral.

freezb
11/13/2006, 05:22 PM
ok i have a probleme, i need to glue a piece of plastic IN my tank so i want to no wath is the better glue????????IN

marmari
11/13/2006, 05:31 PM
Please check with your LFS, surely they will have a solution for you in a "reef safe glue" department. The one that I used is green that turns white after curing, which I thought was ugly(the coraline red covered it in no time though). Epoxy is dark red so u may wanna go with that.

freezb
11/13/2006, 06:43 PM
im in canada and my store just do not no wath to take maiby im not clear, i will not use it out of the tank but in the tank . i have to glue two pieces in the water i can not put it of the water they are molde there. and i dont think that epoxy can glue pvc!?!?

marmari
11/13/2006, 06:51 PM
Well if you want to I can send you my green putty that turns white for free, just pay me the shipping?(IM me if interested)

reefkeeper1
11/13/2006, 10:20 PM
wath?