PDA

View Full Version : White Starfish

algonquin
11/13/2006, 06:03 AM
We have a few of these little tiny white starfish. They never seem to grow. Has anybody else had these little hitchhikers? Are they good or bad for the tank?

Thanks

Andy

CWebHokie
11/13/2006, 06:15 AM
I've got tons of em. Never get bigger than a dime. Almost all of them are half that size. I see too many to count in my 30 gallon. I notice them on the glass the most but they are on the live rock and sand too. Never noticed them doing anything bad so I assume they are harmless.

dcombs44
11/13/2006, 08:23 AM
asterinas probably. i have a few. I wouldn't worry about them. I also have some very small species of brittle star in my rock work as well.

skeeter-doc
11/13/2006, 09:04 AM
Asterina's seem to be nothing to worry about, excpet their vast numbers, ...

Paintbug
11/13/2006, 09:25 AM
if they have short stumpy legs, and some are shorter than the others, they are Asterinas. if the legs are long and skinny, only 5 legs, and a tiny central disk, then they are mini bristle stars. either way they are usually harmless. some Asterina stars have been reported to eat SPS corals.

dippin61
11/13/2006, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8534885#post8534885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paintbug
if they have short stumpy legs, and some are shorter than the others, they are Asterinas. if the legs are long and skinny, only 5 legs, and a tiny central disk, then they are mini bristle stars. either way they are usually harmless. some Asterina stars have been reported to eat SPS corals.

specifically the blue tinted ones. the white ones are reef safe.