PDA

View Full Version : Dirty water in a 12g Aquapod.. Please help.

03Mach
11/13/2006, 04:52 PM
Hello all,
I have a 12g Aquapod that has finished it’s cycle. The water in the tank has a whole bunch of particulate matter floating on the surface and suspended in the water. I am currently running the sponge and carbon in it. Is there anything else I can do to get things cleaned up? I did a 3g water change today (which made it a bit stirred up), there are no fish in it just a small clean up crew. I have 15lbs of LR and a 1.5” sand bed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TriniReefer
11/13/2006, 05:10 PM
Ok take out all the carbon and sponges.Wash the sponges thoroughly.Give the Carbon a quik rinse.I dont believe its anything else.You might want to clean out some of your compartments because it might have sand and stuff in it.Note:Make sure to take off the filtrartion systems power when u do this.Make sure you get all the sand and stuff off the bottom of the compartments.What kind of sand do you have?Crushed Coral?Or Some very very fine white sand?Or jus live sand?

TriniReefer
11/13/2006, 05:12 PM
Oh yeah and when you wash the sponges and stuff wash it with just only some fresh water.no soap,no bleach,none of that.Just water,plain fresh water.

03Mach
11/13/2006, 05:20 PM
I have the smaller type of sand. There is definitely sand in the back compartment, how do I clean that out? The carbon bag can just be rinsed out?

norcal99
11/13/2006, 05:24 PM
I would actually replace the carbon and run a fresh pack. I'd also change out the sponge and add some filter floss. Give it a day and it should clear up.

03Mach
11/13/2006, 05:30 PM
I have a question for anyone else with a Aquapod. Are the slots in the bottom allowing sand to get into the back chambers? What is the point of these slots, I think this may be where all the sand in the back is coming from.

Would filter floss work better than the sponge? How much would I use of it?

saltman123
11/13/2006, 11:10 PM
I have the 12 gallon aquapod and its almost 2 months now. Yes, I went through that nasty filmy floating stuff and have since modded the tank so it does not have that anymore. I am also just starting to mix and match out my filter media.

In the first chamber on the left, there are those vents at the bottom and the middle. Those let water directly into the chamber. This is the reason why the stuff stays floating at the top. You need to get a piece of plexiglass about 3 inches wide, by 12 inches tall and put in in the tank and block those vents up.

What this does is it forces the water to have to pour over the slots at the top of chamber 1. Now all of that floaty stuff will go right into the chamber and catch in the media.

I have removed the sponge completely and am using filter floss now. Walmart had a 5 pound box for $7. I'd say this box may be all the filter floss i'll ever need in a lifetime!! :)jk.

Filter floss is nice because it gets dirty, and you can change it so quickly. No rinsing, no mess, and most importantly, it doesn't leave nitrates to build up in the tank since it is easily discarded.

I have also filled chamber 2 with live rock rubble.

I was running Chemi-pure for a while in chamber 3 and the water was crisp clear. Now I added a piece of Poly filter since my phosphates seem to be high. I'm planning on adding back chemi-pure and/or carbon.

Definitely do the plexiglass mod, and get yourself some filter floss, then live rock rubble. Hope that helps.

Matrexz
11/14/2006, 07:50 AM
I agree with the plexi-glass mod, another thing to consider when modding the 12 is to take out the stock pump and put in a maxi jet 900. More flow will be beneficial to your tank.

saltman123
11/14/2006, 10:08 AM
Yes, I also added the Maxi-Jet 900 :)

I also plan to mod my fan in the hood too since it sometimes makes an odd noise.

03Mach
11/14/2006, 02:26 PM
How do I get the sand out of the back that has accumulated in There? My Siphon won't suck it up.

saltman123
11/14/2006, 02:43 PM
I have sand back there but haven't attempted to get it out just yet. I am going to use a turkey baster as a first attempt. Try that first.

scoobasteve
11/15/2006, 08:37 AM
one question about these plexiglass mods and other mods i have seen recommending blocking the mid and lower slots. Will blocking these slots lead to inadequate filtration in the lower and middle water colloms? I know that blocking these will lead to a clearer surface, but will all the particles eventually get to the surface or will they just accumulate at the bottom of the tank?

Matrexz
11/15/2006, 10:06 AM
That's why you put a larger pump in with the hydor attachment to to create enough current to carry this stuff upwards.

saltman123
11/15/2006, 11:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8551099#post8551099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Matrexz
That's why you put a larger pump in with the hydor attachment to to create enough current to carry this stuff upwards.

I think I am going to invest in a hydor head since the maxijet with the 2 stock tubes doesn't truly seem to be overly powerful. I was thinking it was going to be stronger than it truly is.

03Mach
11/15/2006, 05:21 PM
How do you get the maxijet to fit up with the fittings on the Pod? Aren't they a different set up?

scoobasteve
11/22/2006, 01:39 PM
ive heard alot about these hydors. What are they and how do they work?

Illuminati
11/22/2006, 01:55 PM
Go to Dr. Foster and Smiths website, they sell them under the wavemaker section.

saltman123
11/22/2006, 03:41 PM
The Maxi Jet simply connects to the tub in the back that used to connect to the stock pump. It is an easy swap.

The Hydor's seem to spin the water around which simulates waves and natural water currents. I don't have one but am considering one eventually. I've heard mixed reviews on them.

bwest
11/22/2006, 06:30 PM
If you have anymore suggestions that have worked for anyone else, keep them coming, this has been helpful so far.

saltman123
11/22/2006, 07:04 PM
I've heard people say instead of using a Hydor, simply take some of the pieces/links out of the stock tubes. That way you can shorten them up. I haven't tried this either but have considered it as well.