PDA

View Full Version : Something that disturbs my zoos

rrasor
11/13/2006, 06:32 PM
I have a quick question about something that is distubing/killing my zoos. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures at the time, but I will try to describe what it looks like.

I have a rock with about 30-40 peach zoos. Under that rock, I see thin tentacles (very thin, almost transparent) reaching up and touching/wrapping the zoos right above them. About 10 of the zoos on this rock are being touched and they stay closed up, the other zoos on the rock are fine.

I am just wondering if anyone else has run into this. I am trying to get a camera so I can take some pictures, but if my explanation rings any bells, my zoos and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

J. Montgomery
11/13/2006, 06:57 PM
I have a type of tubeworm all over my tank that reaches out with two tentacles. They touch all of my corals (including a few different zoas), but none of them seem to mind. Do the tentacles appear in pairs? Are the closed up zoas the ONLY ones being touched?

You probably won't be able to get a real response without a picture (I can't get decent picture myself). Did you check the list on http://melevsreef.com/id/ ?

J. Montgomery
11/13/2006, 06:59 PM
Actually, now that I just looked at that link . . . its not the one that I was thinking of (one that had a list of worms, etc . . . ). Maybe someone else will know. Sorry.

cwegescheide
11/13/2006, 07:09 PM
You know just recently, in the last week I am experiencing the same thing I think. On one rock I have these nice red zoa's Half the rock is closed up tight and the other half is fine. I have another large rock with some really nice orange zoo's about half that rock is partially closed and the other half is fine. I've got about 20 different types of zoo's in the tank. Some are totally uneffected and look just fine. I will say that several months ago my mean greens stayed closed up like that for a couple weeks if not longer and they finally came out of it .

I have no clue what is irritating them but I did another water change just for the heck of it. I am also stopping dosing anything. Only thing I did in the past week is changed out my phosban.

anomie
11/13/2006, 07:44 PM
Could be a spagetti worm. Check out this site and see if you can make a positive id.

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/%7Esweetyummy42/hitchworms.html

cwegescheide
11/13/2006, 08:56 PM
Well I do know I've got a lot of bristleworms thats for sure... Hmmm.

rrasor
11/14/2006, 08:20 AM
anomie, thanks for the post. I looked at the site and although I can't find anything that looks like what I have in the tank, I definately have the heebie-jeebie's for the rest of the day :eek2:

I will try to get some pictures tonight and post them.

Thanks for your help.

reefnetworth
11/19/2006, 05:29 AM
cwegescheide, a six-line wrasse will devour those bristle worms. 100% reef safe, max limit 4" i love mine, has great characture, not to mention theyre beautiful. have a good one.

John, :cool: