PDA

View Full Version : high alk

jerbert
11/13/2006, 08:03 PM
i am having a problem with high alk, all other peramiters are testing fine how can you lower the alk without affecting the other peramiters.

ken6217
11/13/2006, 08:31 PM
How high is the alk? You could do a water change? What do you dose that is giving the high alk?
Ken

jerbert
11/13/2006, 09:44 PM
the aquarium was just set up about 2 weeks ago. we transfered a 75g to a 135g. i use b-ionic, and have not dosed any alk since the move. I thought that a water change was the only way to get the alk down I was just wondering if there was a counter to the alk(ex. baking soda and washing soda can affect PH) I want to know of any remidies for alk.

eugeneK
11/13/2006, 10:47 PM
I set up 100G a month ago and first week alk was 15 and slowly came down. I used Ro/DI and reef crystals. If you have enough coral load it will end up being consumed by them or coraline taking off. Whats you Ca at?

bertoni
11/14/2006, 12:26 AM
Alkalinity should drop on its own. If animals are showing signs of troubles, then a water change might help. You'd need to verify that the freshly-mixed water has a good alkalinity level.

If you're not supplementing, the salt or the water being might be the issue. Are you using tapwater? If so, have you tested it for alkalinity?