PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Tank - Do I have Aiptasia?

rtsen
11/13/2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Reef Central

I'm new here and fairly new to saltwater tanks. I purchased a used 75 gal tank. Here's my info:

1 Coralife Super Protein Skimmer (125 g)
2 Heaters
2 Seio M820 Super Flow
100 lbs of cure LR
10 gallon water from a established tank (the rest of the water was RO water)
Sand from an established tank

Salinity - 1.025
PH - 8.2
Temp - 81 F
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 35 ppm (currently doing water changes every 3 days with RO water)

The water was done cycling after a week (ammonia + nitrite = 0) but I waited a couple weeks more and got a couple clown fishes. This was last week. The clowns are doing well. I turned on my lights as soon as I got the fishes and noticed a couple of stem like plants. They were pretty cool at first cause if i touched them they would close up. I did a bit of research and found out it could be aiptasia.

Here are some pics, Please help me ID them.
http://members.shaw.ca/rtsen/badCoral.htm
The top pics are redish-blown plants, They only seem to show up when my lights are on.
The bottom 2 are the ones that close up if i touch them. They are white in colour.

I was thinking about getting a peppermint shrimp if they are indeed the dreaded aiptasia but would it survive my high nitrates?

Thanks,
Rtsen

InvaderJim
11/13/2006, 10:34 PM
The first couple pictures look like some kind of polyps, and the picture with the red arrow is a feather duster.

rtsen
11/13/2006, 10:41 PM
wow, quick reply.

i'm guessing polyps are good; how about the feather duster? Time for some google.

Jakaru
11/13/2006, 10:45 PM
star polyps and a filter feeder. No need to worry. Might want to keep an eye on the star polyps as they tend to grow like a weed in some tanks and some think of them as something to get rid of.

InvaderJim
11/13/2006, 10:50 PM
The feather duster is perfectly fine. Some people actually buy them to put in their tank(s). Neither of what you have pictured is harmful.

That's pretty cool you got some free star polyps thouh.

rtsen
11/14/2006, 08:15 AM
great, free coral. It looks like i'm in the reefing business; I intended to do FOWLR for a bit first.

Anyways, thanks Jakaru and InvaderJim for the replies.

For the star polyps, should I be increasing the time the lights are on? Currently I have it on from 4 to 10 pm. I have PC lights and one T5 (which i dont currently turn on). What would you suggest as a lighting schedule.

Do I have to feed the polyps anything? and what do I do if it starts to grow like crazy?

last question, is feather duster a worm?

Nykademus
11/14/2006, 08:28 AM
star polyps are very hardy and should do fine under 6 hours of light each day. They are filter feeders which means that you wont be directly feeding them really. You could dose the tank with marine snow, cyclopeeze or any number of other options out there. As far as controlling the polyps if they start to take over the rock they are on is to make that rock an "island", it will not spread to other rocks if its not in contact with them.. or you could trim them back manually ( but thats a lot of work )

what wattage are your PC lights? tank depth?

yep, feather duster is a worm and is also a filter feeder.