PDA

View Full Version : closed loop or power heads

staticx
11/14/2006, 05:59 AM
I have a 100 gal acrylic tank should I go with a closed loop or power heads. If closed loop what size pump and how many out lets and what placement. If power heads same question. I will have softies and shrooms

reefnetworth
11/14/2006, 06:46 AM
with softies and shrooms i would go with the loop and about 6 evenly spaced loc-line nozzles. pump? i would go with a mag 12, you want kinda low flow for your inhabitants.

John

Shagsbeard
11/14/2006, 06:57 AM
Closed loops look better. Having powerheads hanging in your tank, with cords hanging over the edge is considered unsightly. Your closed loop system will also be cheaper, typically, and easier to maintain (with a single pump rather than multiple pumps. Including a "wave maker" in your line will add variety to your tank, changing the flow over time. Melev's Reef Site has a good walk through of his closed loop.

Icehockey_whino
11/14/2006, 07:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8542262#post8542262 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnetworth
with softies and shrooms i would go with the loop and about 6 evenly spaced loc-line nozzles. pump? i would go with a mag 12, you want kinda low flow for your inhabitants.

John

exactly what I have going on 55g, and its working great

staticx
11/14/2006, 04:51 PM
Thank you for all the help. what kind of stuff can i keep with t 5 lighting