PDA

View Full Version : in response to new reefkeeping topic

NCreefwannabe
11/14/2006, 09:09 AM
I live in North Carolina. about 20 minutes from the beach. Ive seen the obsoleta snails you discussed.

Theres millions of them. the reason people have so many, is because i can walk out into the sound, say 5 feet, and collect hundreds of thousands all day if needed. I used them in my tank before i broke it down, just to see how they were. they did seem fine, but i had read about them killing meleevs clam.

But for someone who doesnt know, they would"seem" completely reef safe. they dug down into my sandbed and moved around with their snouts(tubes) out of the sand.

Cool to have seen a writeup about them.

melev
11/16/2006, 01:46 AM
Aww... You remembered my little clam? :(

The Nassarius obsoleta aren't quite the nice guys that N. vibex are.

I've had both in my tank. I prefer the 100% reef safe guys.

Paintbug
11/16/2006, 08:59 AM
something else i would like to point out about the article is the flukes. one of our club members brought us some of the Ilyanassa obsoleta snails collected off the NC coast. one of our members now has swimmers itch from the flukes. of the 3-4 of us that got some of the snails, myself included hes the only one that has reported this problem to us. i read through the article, should say skimmed through the article, and didnt even seen that part. i think a good topic next month, or in couple would be other harmful things in our tanks that we cant see until its to late. maybe some ways to prevent infections, or treat problems after they happen.

NCreefwannabe
11/17/2006, 02:53 PM
good point. theres alot of people that actually do biotopes of their local waters. I also thought of doing it, it seems like a neat idea. of only keeping animals that are native to me locally.

But theres alot of diferent diseases that come with this idea. from collecting, and the fish themselves, that arent normally seen in a home aquarium.