PDA

View Full Version : no life on my live rock

gopens
11/14/2006, 10:16 AM
my tank has been up for almost 3 months. when i bought my live rock, it had tons of life and had beautiful colors all over the pieces of rock. well now 3 months later, my rock has lost ALL its color and looks like it has no life at all.

my question is, i think i might not have enough water movement in my 80 gallon tank. can a lack of water flow hurt the live rock to the point it loses life, all life. all my levels are good. i am also running 2x250 mh's 12 hours a day. could that be to much light. please help. thanks

Nykademus
11/14/2006, 10:31 AM
what are your water params? just going from the info that you have posted.. you should have lots going on in there.

what do you have for water flow? powerheads.. closed loop.. anything?

any other livestock?

loves saltwater
11/14/2006, 11:23 AM
tagging along I have the same problem.I added more rock this weekend to see what happens.

gopens
11/14/2006, 12:16 PM
my flow is only coming from my return which is rated at 950 pgh at 0 feet. so all i am really running is probably 600 gph which it about 1/3 of what i should really be running. i am going to get some kind of powerhead(s). just not really sure what kind.

tanker
11/14/2006, 12:37 PM
I do not think flow will increase life on LR, but yes your flow is low.

1) add maybe a MJ PH for some more flow.

2) The color will come back, just maybe a little slow. If you got "new" LR and it is uncured there will be some die-off. Most will come back--again slowly.

demonsp
11/14/2006, 02:24 PM
Flow will be a factor but not with the rock. During the cycle you will loose some pods but they will survive and flurish if you keep perms in good shape. Color on the rock will also return. Its good to have cross flow. Lighting time is fine. Take a small flashlight color the end red wait for a few hours after lights out and look around , im sure you will see something. You can add a few pellets to lure them out. GL :)

Shadowramy
11/14/2006, 03:57 PM
My rock did the same thing when I started out. I bought it from LiveAquaria. After about 6 months everything started to come back.

Pink when to white then back to pink. Dusters, starfish, sponges.. pretty much everything came back.

dntx5b9
11/14/2006, 07:20 PM
It takes time, at least in my experience. It took mine well over 6 months. Good luck.