PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sand Bed Fish in BareBottom Aquarium

ralphie16
11/14/2006, 11:54 AM
There are several fish (i.e. bluespotted jawfish) that burrow little shelters in the sand. Most subject texts list their environment as composed of sand and coral rubble.

My question is have any of you kept this fish, or other "substate recommended" fish in a barebottom?

Does not having a substrate like sand on the bottom prevent the fish from feeling secure? Can it live without a sand burrow? Can i live "well" without one? I mean, if you have enough holes, crevices, caves, etc in the rockwork, as well as some coral rubble on the bottom, would it be possible to keep one of these fish healthy since it will have lots of hiding spots? What if there are no other fish in the tank so it would not feel threatened?

Maybe I am wrong about the security feeling they get. Do they require sand for feeding instead? Yes I know the experts say you need a deep sand bed because it mimics the way they live in the wild. But as you know fish have to adapt to live in our aquariums, so is it that detrimental for them to try to adapt to no deep sand bed?

Just thinking out loud here...

Randall_James
11/14/2006, 12:06 PM
Both reasons are valid. Both can be worked around however.

I have seen pieces of 6" pvc filled with substrate put in barebottom tanks for these fish and lots of liverock and a refuge for food generation.

I personally would not get one of these fish with a bb tank myself. Stress shortens their life span and so no point making them unhappy. I do know that some wrasses (burrowing type) do not last very long unless they have substrate to hide