PDA

View Full Version : lots of questions - mostly centering an anemone

richardk
11/14/2006, 12:50 PM
I'm somewhat of a beginner my 29 gallon reef tank has been set up for about 8-9 months I just recently added a bulb anemone and its apparant ill health has caused me to seek some answers. All the water tests for nitrate, nitrite, pH, and ammonia seem fine. I have a bicolor angel, firefish, and a percula clown. Recently I've been noticing little insect looking things all over my tank when I turn the lights on in the morning. There is also this weird red algae looking stuff on one side of my tank that dissapears when the lights are off and after a day of lighting it reapears. After adding a bulb anemone it climbed up on the side of a long rock and latched itself sideways. The clown instantly went into the anemone. Lately the anemone has been looking really deflated (stringy tentacles) and I was just wondeirng what I could to that could help. I have an air lift protein skimmer, a 30-60 whisper filter, a powerhead and airstone all in the tank with about 20-30 pounds of live rock and live sand. The lighting is a about 20 watts of a reglar coralight bulb, 20 regular actinic, and a 60 watt coralife fixture.

BlueCorn
11/14/2006, 12:51 PM
[welcome]

[moved]

mfp4073
11/23/2006, 08:46 PM
bugs are probably pods of some kind. They are good little critters that the fish will eat or will just be part of the system. The red stuff may be cyano algae/bacteria. Somewhat normal to a new tank. I am sure there are people on here that can tell you more than I know about both!

Swanwillow
11/23/2006, 08:54 PM
anems are strange creatures. I think that its ok, really. Bulbs don't always stay bulby, and it may never go back.
a sign to watch for for a BAD thing is a gaping mouth... umm, I was looking for a pic, but can't find one. another semi-bad thing is puking out brown stuff-loss of zozanthellea, umm, turning white...