PDA

View Full Version : unconditioned space for sump/fuge

jasonhoutx
11/14/2006, 12:55 PM
I have seen a lot of picture on this forum of basement sump/fuge setups. I was thinking of doing the same, but in my garage. I live in Houston, so we don't get the luxury of having a basement (water table is too high).

What would be some pitfalls of seting my sump/fuge up in my unconditioned (no heat or cooling) garage space and have return/supply runs through the wall into the conditioned room in my house where my 150g tank is?

it gets really hot here in houston in the summer, winters are mild/cool.

my reasoning for wanting to do this is to have a means of reducing any noise inside the living area and just be able to enjoy the tank. ALso, this would be a great way to help drain water if there was a emergency.

Thanks in advance.
Jason

schiejr
11/14/2006, 01:46 PM
The main concern would be temperature regulation. Requirements would depend on the amount of water in the unconditioned space.

Another concern would be cleanliness-dust and stuff as you sweep the garage out.

Randall_James
11/14/2006, 03:34 PM
as stated temp control. I would determine the amount of area you can dedicate and wall it in. You are going to need some type of thermal help, either an a/c unit or a chiller.

Humidity is a big issue there (gawd awful when we raced there) And so some ventilation to the outside world is going to be needed.

The cold is not so much an issue in your area so a trio of 300W heaters should keep you safe with room to spare.

jasonhoutx
11/14/2006, 04:59 PM
the space I am thinking of dedicating is in a part of the garage where I can insulate and wall it off w/ a small door. It would be a mini - fish room. Its currently a dead space under a stairwell with a perfect 2 feet to the tank on the other side of the wall.

I can only see cooling issues so far. Dust and other nasty stuff would be eliminated via the wall/door I will put up.

I dunno, maybe I should just shove everything under the tank. I just worry about sound issues.

N8ster
11/14/2006, 05:20 PM
Check out Melev's 280 gallon reef tank. He basically put the tank in his garage, and then cut out the wall so you can see it. He then built a little fish room to control the temperature (Dallas).

Check the link for Days 1-7.

http://www.melevsreef.com/280g.html

loves saltwater
11/14/2006, 05:39 PM
Hey Jason nice to see others in the Houston area.

jasonhoutx
11/14/2006, 05:46 PM
hi there!

Yea, there is nothing better than to know your not the only local alone in this addiction.

Seeing that your out in the Katy area, I bet you have made a few trips to Aquariumworld over on 290. I love that place. I could spend so much time and money in that place. My 2 kids are just as excited as I am when we go there.

Do you know of any good LFS around besides aquariumworld?

loves saltwater
11/14/2006, 05:59 PM
yea there are several around the area...

1. Aquatic World-Jones rd 1 mile north of 290

2. Village Fish- South Shepard 1/2 east of Hwy 59(great place to buy coral frags for 5-10 dollars)

3. Fishland- Westhiemer and Eldridge

4.B & B-FM 1960 and Perry rd.

YES I am addicted hehehehe

All these stores have better prices than AW

jasonhoutx
11/14/2006, 06:10 PM
GREAT!!

now I get to go explore new places and spend money....hehe.

You guys out there have some good choices. I am out in the clearlake area.....not much to choose from around here.

loves saltwater
11/14/2006, 06:15 PM
Yea we are lucky...Me and a friend are on the prowl Saturday will start at Village Fish and go from there.