PDA

View Full Version : Trumpet Coral Growth?

hatfielj
11/14/2006, 01:17 PM
I have two frags of trumpet coral that I've had for about 4 weeks now. They inflate well during the day and fully open up with their tenticles during the night, so I'm assuming they are fairly happy with my tank. However, I was wondering how long it will be before they start growing and splitting? Anyone with a succesful colony of trumpets that could you tell me how fast yours divide? Also, how do you know when they are getting ready to divide? What will they do/look like? Thanks for any info.

gastone
11/14/2006, 03:29 PM
Have you been spot feeding them? Last December I picked up three small heads of the neon green candycane. Not until I started spot feeding did I notice growth. I now have nine heads and they always seem to be in the process of splitting nowadays.

hatfielj
11/14/2006, 03:34 PM
No, I've never spot fed them. I guess that would be a good idea to try. What can I use to spot feed?

gastone
11/14/2006, 04:08 PM
Any meaty food should do. I use either homemade "Borneman" mush or mysis soaked in selcon and cyclopeeze. Wait till the feeder tentacles are out. And watch out for shrimp or ambitious fish that will steal the food out of the mouths of your LPS.

The_Taz_Devil
11/14/2006, 06:25 PM
You will notice that the head develops 2 mouths and becomes an 8 shape when its splitting. I did target feed for a while and they did seem to respond better to this. Ive had 2 colonys for about 6 months and had good growth and splitting from this. Try a meaty fare soaked in cyclopeeze and target feed them about twice a week, seemed to work for me.

hatfielj
11/14/2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I'm going to try the target feeding this week.

hatfielj
11/14/2006, 10:00 PM
I just tryed target feeding them tonight and it was very cool to watch! Its amazing that they can close up so fast and grab hold of the food like that. I have a mushroom that I can feed like that, but I had no idea that LPS can be fed too! This is a cool hobby.