PDA

View Full Version : questions!!!!

richardk
11/14/2006, 12:54 PM
I'm somewhat of a beginner my 29 gallon reef tank has been set up for about 8-9 months I just recently added a bulb anemone and its apparant ill health has caused me to seek some answers. All the water tests for nitrate, nitrite, pH, and ammonia seem fine. I have a bicolor angel, firefish, and a percula clown. Recently I've been noticing little insect looking things all over my tank when I turn the lights on in the morning. There is also this weird red algae looking stuff on one side of my tank that dissapears when the lights are off and after a day of lighting it reapears. After adding a bulb anemone it climbed up on the side of a long rock and latched itself sideways. The clown instantly went into the anemone. Lately the anemone has been looking really deflated (stringy tentacles) and I was just wondeirng what I could to that could help. I have an air lift protein skimmer, a 30-60 whisper filter, a powerhead and airstone all in the tank with about 20-30 pounds of live rock and live sand. The lighting is a about 20 watts of a reglar coralight bulb, 20 regular actinic, and a 60 watt coralife fixture.

tanker
11/14/2006, 01:05 PM
1) You do not have enough light for an anemone.
2) You do not have enough flow in your tank (red slime).
3) The insect are OK==Pods.
4) What ARE your "fine" water perameters??

:) :)

richardk
11/14/2006, 01:17 PM
specific gravity = 1.023
pH = 8.0
nitrate = 5-10 ppm
nitrite = 0
ammonia = 0

i have another power head i can add but what would u suggest for additional lighting. And ive also had a question of whether or not a glass top is needed (will water evaporate and hurt my light fixture?).
I tried posting picture of my tank and the anemone in this post but im not sure if this is working.

HPIM0381.JPG
HPIM0379.JPG

demonsp
11/14/2006, 01:58 PM
Have you hand fead him ?

richardk
11/14/2006, 02:02 PM
No I haven't. Is frozen brine shrimp good. I posted pictures in my gallary.

demonsp
11/14/2006, 02:06 PM
Brine shrimp fine , thaw out first in a cup with tank water . Some even rinse first do to phospate but im not sure and i dont rinse. Even raw shrimp from store. Give good size , just place on spines and if hes hungry he will grab it , then after its gone see if he wants more . But they do require good lighting. Mine stopped taking food after tomato clowns hosted and they feed him now. But if dont look better mb take back if you cant get better light.

demonsp
11/14/2006, 02:07 PM
Good looking anenome hope he makes it.

Randall_James
11/14/2006, 02:18 PM
I would avoid the brine shrimp like the plague. They just provide so little nutrition for the volume. I would go to your local seafood store and get some raw shrimp and reduce it to small pieces 1/4 to 1/2 square, if he is large enough just quartering the shrimp will work) and feed the Anemone that.

DO NOT OVERFEED the guy or he will just blow chunks back into the tank later. I would feed him about every 3rd or 4th day.

The lighting seems pretty weak as well and the nitrates really should be undetectable...

richardk
11/14/2006, 03:59 PM
thanks a lot...I'm probably going to a store tonight. What kind of and how much additional lighting should I look at and is it really necessary to have a glass top becasue I'm afraid to toss it thinking that water will evaporate up and damage the fixture.

tanker
11/14/2006, 08:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8546523#post8546523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by richardk
thanks a lot...I'm probably going to a store tonight. What kind of and how much additional lighting should I look at and is it really necessary to have a glass top becasue I'm afraid to toss it thinking that water will evaporate up and damage the fixture.

Well, personally you can keep the top. I have a glass tops on all my tanks (except my FW).

I do not think adding light is what you need, but changing from that one bulb to either a T5, PC, or MH. IMO you going to need at least 100 watts for an anemone.

PS-- I too do not think Brine Shrimp is enough for an anemone. Try silver sides, or small pieces of raw shrimp.

Randall_James
11/15/2006, 11:05 AM
If you do not have a sump I would remove the top due to the gas exchange issue. If the surface can not get enough fresh air, c02 will build up in the tank and ph will drop (both are going to make your Anemone unhappy)

If you could afford it a single 150W MH could work pretty well on your setup.