PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Filter ...

FTDelta
11/14/2006, 02:06 PM
Hello all ! I'm new getting into starting a Marine aquarium. At the present, I am doing alot of reading and research on starting a salt water aquarium. Believe me, I am learning quite abit of things I never knew or found very interesting. I currently do not have a tank nor equipment needed to start one up yet. However, I have made my equipment choices decisions as well as livestock and corals.
The big question I have is I came across an advertisement in a recent FAMA magazine for a Freedom Filter. From my understanding, it is officially approved by the Brooklyn Aquarium Society. So my question is this - what are your thoughts and experience on this Freedom filter ? I have been considering getting this but not too sure at the moment.

This is the website : www.freedomaquarium.com

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.

badgerlaw
11/14/2006, 03:11 PM
I have seen the product and have seen mixed reviews. In this hobby it is better to buy the tried and true as opposed to experimental technology. I know tunze makes a similar product consisting of an in tank protein skimmer if that is what you are interested in.

Additionally in order to make full recommendations for filtration it is imperative that you have some idea as to what types of corals if any as well as bio load.

FTDelta
11/15/2006, 09:37 AM
This is what I'm looking to do :

46 gallon BF aquarium
Current USA orbit lighting (36 " 2x96 watt bulbs, 3 lunar)

Live rock / Arag-Alive sand

These will be added after corals are settled for a few months first :

2 Ocellaris Clowns or B&W Clowns
1 Coral Beauty or Flame Angelfish
1 Clown Goby
1 Jeweled Blenny
1 Marble Sea Star or Double Sea Star (pending on my decision)

Corals (the beginner varieties) :

Polyps
Mushrooms
Candy Cane corals

1 or 2 shrimps (Cleaner or Peppermint)
The usual tank cleaner pak of hermits and snails

Hope this helps what you need to know, badgerlaw.