PDA

View Full Version : copper

gopens
11/14/2006, 04:05 PM
sorry but i placed this thread in the chemistry section, but i wanted some more advice.

well i have some bad news. i went to the lfs today, and we tested my water. i have a slight tinge of copper. i thought maybe that the slight tinge was common, so i had my lfs guy test his water in front of me and his was perfectly clear with no signs of copper at all. so now that i have this problem, i have some deciding to do. is there any possible way i can get rid of this problem so i can have inverts and corals. i have read of a fe different ways to remove copper (via carbon), but they don't work 100%. i am sure i know what all you guys and gals are going to say. but i was just making sure that there is no help for me and this LR and subsrate. i just spoke with a and he told me that with such a tiny tiny trace like i had, that some water changes should put me back to normal. he told me that his son has put pennies in his tank and found them months later. and his lr is fine. i don't have a problem with replacing all my lr and substrate. but i honestly don't want to spend 700.00 more dollars on lr and substrate.

i was thinking of removing the live rock, and putting them in a 55 gallon tank with fresh saltwater, heater, and a powerhead and cure the rock. than i was going to remove and trash all my sand (in the main tank and in the sump). then clean my main tank and sump with a vinegar and water solotion. do this a few times over a few days. than set the tank back up and use fresh sand. than add my old live rock. please help. thanks

amike5
11/14/2006, 04:39 PM
What kind of water are you using? If your using tap water, that is where your problem is. Do you have a RO/DI? This would be mandatory if you want inverts and coral.

I don't know what you would do, I don't think I would trash it all or even re-cure the LR, I think with frequent water changes and some large ones using RO/DI you could probably eliminate the small amount you have. What is the level of copper you have in there?

gopens
11/14/2006, 04:49 PM
i am using ro/di water. and i don't remember the exact amount of copper, but it was less than 1.

Tbduval
11/14/2006, 06:18 PM
Well, first we need to figure out where the copper came from. When introducing a new fish, did you dump the LFS water in the tank? Many LFS keep there system with copper to help fight off parasites. Also, the copper will keep leaching out the LR & sand over time if there is copper stored in the LR. I believe Seachem sells a product that will pull copper out of the water. I have never used this, so research the product before purcashing it. About keep the LR, that is going to be your decision. It may not show any side effects now but it may cause problems down the road. Good luck!

greenbean36191
11/14/2006, 06:23 PM
If you have copper that's measurable on a test kit, even in trace amounts, you have big problems. Hobby tests don't have resolutions even close to the toxic levels for most inverts. I wouldn't go out and replace all the substrate and rock yet, but I would certainly do several large water changes and run polyfilters until they no longer change color.