PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to clean a tank..

gopens
11/14/2006, 08:11 PM
well i have been posting about my copper problem. as some may now my tank has copper. well i have ordered new substrate and live rock. so now i have to clean out my tank and get rid of any copper that may be attached to the glass, corners, over flow, just about anywhere. i have heard that vinegar is good. can aybody help me with a little secret on how to clean my tank and get rid of this copper, thanks

Contagiousmind
11/14/2006, 08:14 PM
ive heard the same with vinegar, but cant really say with copper.

Dubbin1
11/14/2006, 08:15 PM
The problem with the copper is that it will leach out of the silicone. There is really no way to clean it out.

sarduci
11/14/2006, 08:48 PM
Tanks are cheap compaired to the overall costs of a tank. Heck, I paid less than $150 for my 90g tank, and $1000.00 for lights. Be safe and just get another tank.

gopens
11/14/2006, 08:56 PM
well my tank was a bit more than 150. its a 80 gallon bow front with built in overflows. i paid 400.00 for it. and i paid 800 for a custom cabinet that fits this exact tank. i really cant drop 500.00 on new live rock and substrate, than an extra 400.00 for a tank. i don't have an extra 900.00 sitting around. so i am going to do all i can to make this tank work. thanks

millstreetzoo
11/14/2006, 09:49 PM
I have a 10 gallon that I used to treat a fish with copper for 7 days. I now use it as a holding tank. Remarkably it is full of pods, has 2 hermits and 4 snails, which have been residents for over 6 months. I never cleaned the tank after the copper treatments, although it did sit without any inhabitants for 2 months before I added the snails, hermits and pods. I now use it to culture macro algae and pods. Maybe the macro filters the copper out - I really don't know. I just can't believe the pod population in this tank, theres no waiting till the lights go off - pods are everywhere even with the lights on. Goes against everything I have read, I have never taken a copper reading. All I know is that the silicone is blue - so I know the copper was absorbed. Possibly when it leaches back into the water column the algae absorbes the copper so it has no impact on the inverts. Your guess is as good as mine.