PDA

View Full Version : Please help

zma21
11/14/2006, 09:16 PM
Ok, I'm getting into the saltwater world soon with my 38 gallon. I know you guys might think that is too small, but it is what i feel is appropriate, and have no choice of upgrade in the near future.

I've been researching off and on for a couple months, and i still have no idea where to start.

I don't know all of the equipment that i need to purchase, and i don't know the basics to creating and maintaining a salt-water environment.

is there a web site that can help me out with my problem? If there is, i would greatly appreciate it. And also, any of your help would do me more help than you will know. Thanks in advance guys. Have a good night. :)

sir_dudeguy
11/14/2006, 09:22 PM
[welcome]

the first thing you should do...read thru Travis L. Stevens whole thread at the top area of this forum section...its called something like "so you want to start a marine aquarium" or something to that affect...it goes thru EVERYTHING one could possibly need when starting a new tank...i cant believe we couldnt get him to publish that as a book tho lol.

Avi
11/14/2006, 10:50 PM
For some more useful info...

www.melevsreef.com

zma21
11/15/2006, 10:04 PM
I read Travis's whole thread tonite. Took some good time, but I feel as if i'm almost ready.

One more question........do i really need a sump? I'll be performing over twice the filtration (80 gal for a 30) and will have excellent water flow. I'm going to add a single jet. Should that be enough?

CPT. MURPHY
11/15/2006, 10:28 PM
[welcome]

You don't have to have a sump but I would recommend an hob skimmer.

CPT.

woodstock '69
11/15/2006, 10:40 PM
The short answer - no you don't need a sump. This is just one of 100 or more decisions you could make as you make all the necessary choices that must eventually me made. The easiest way to go about this (you already have made a major decision on the tank size 38 gal) is to decide what type of life you want to keep. Of course lots of choices have already been eliminated by your choice of tank size. Having a pretty close working list of life to keep will go a long way in helping you determine what equipment you can consider.

So given those paticular size constraints, start to get a list together of fish, corals (if you even want corals) etc, etc. Once you have a fairly good starting point for the life you want to keep, you can then begin the hardware, equipment, supplements, tests and other things you will need.

Planning all this out on paper first will save you from millions of potential problems. It might turn out to be that all of this time used for organization and decision making proves absolutely invaluable and irreplaceable over the life of your involvment in the hobby.

Michal

zma21
11/16/2006, 03:59 PM
Ok. After reading Travis' thread, i have decided to go to wal-mart and blow the $10 on a ten gallon to make sure i learn the basics. So if you don't have a sump, you need a skimmer? You don't need both thought right, cause jeesh that's expensive. Would a sump be too loud?

sir_dudeguy
11/16/2006, 04:55 PM
no, you DO need a skimmer. Well you dont absolutely need one, but imo, if you're gonna do a reef tank (with corals and inverts) then you need one so you can keep the nitrates and stuff down. There are 2 kinds. Hang on back (HOB) and in-sump ones. Generally in-sump ones are better, but for a 38 gallon, you could be fine with one of the hob ones (i like the aqua c remora skimmer most.

All a sump does is give you a place to hide unsightly equipment (like the skimmer, heater, etc...) and to add a bit more water to your system which keeps it more stable.

MimicTang
11/16/2006, 06:05 PM
38 gal is pleanty big just try to get yourself some smaller fish which dont grow up to be huge. There are alot of nano fish out there which only get 2" at the max.

zma21
11/16/2006, 06:16 PM
Ok guys....i said i changed my mind and now i'm doing a 10 gallon for education.

And i can't find any hob skimmers......or any under $100. This is a budget build. :wtc:

sir_dudeguy
11/16/2006, 06:24 PM
coralife superskimmer 65. 90 bucks new off of drsfostersmith.com and you can get it for about half that price on the used equipment selling forum on this site (and you can sometimes find new products that people never used but just need to get rid of...i got my remora skimmer for 70 bucks and it was used, and it is still amazing).

Also, idk if you mean that you're gonna do the 10g instead of the 38 gallon, but if thats what you mean, then do it the other way around. Bigger the tank=less work and the easier it is. Smaller tanks are harder to keep the levels and everything right for beginners (newbies tend to not top off every day and do water changes and that sort of thing). The more water you've got, the more room for error you've got...so just a precaution. I am in no way saying you cant do a 10 but bigger is easier.

MimicTang
11/16/2006, 07:08 PM

zma21
11/16/2006, 07:44 PM
I understand what you are saying sir_dudeguy. Larger is easier. However, i just want to learn the basics before i spend the extra money on filling my 38 and not having a bit of experience. If i experienced a crash, i don't know what i'd do.

Also, would this skimmer do the job for my 10 gal?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14676&N=2004+113771