PDA

View Full Version : Turboflotor skimmer gone crazy

fran_franco
11/14/2006, 11:08 PM
Hi, I have a Turboflotor skimmer (T 1000) and since 2 days ago is taking too much water out to the cup. The water seems very transparent.

I already trayed diminishing the quatity of water flow but it don't stop taking water out. It has almost 3 days doing the same thing.

What do you recomend?

Fishbulb2
11/15/2006, 12:05 AM
Is this a new problem? Have you had it dialed in before? If you are just setting it up, try to close the air about 3/4 and open the valves that control the water level all the way. If you have had it working prior and this is a new problem, then it is certianly because you've added somehting to the water to make it go nuts. Sometimes dechlorinators, frozen foods or additives can make a skimmer foam too much. So let's first clarify if it's the skimmer adjustments or the water itself. I kept my flow into the skimmer very low when I set mine up. About 100 gph or so.
let us know,
FB

fran_franco
11/15/2006, 07:39 AM
Can't be setting of the skimmer, it has been working perfectly for 3 months, until now...
They only different thing I have added to the water is some caulerpa in the sump. That was on friday last week...
What I should do?
Water change?
What percentage?
I have changed almost 130 liters (33 galloons of the total 100) in the last 2 weeks.
I checked the caulerpa and I toke out the pieces I thought were dead. The ones I left are really green...

jarhed
11/15/2006, 10:47 AM
It's the setting of the skimmer. Trust me. No matter how well it's been working perfectly over the past three months, it needs to be adjusted now. Can you lower the water level in the skimmer?

Fishbulb2
11/15/2006, 11:08 AM
Hmmmm, strange. I tend to disagree. I think it is definetely your water. I had a turboflotor running for a long time and it never needed any adjustments once I got it running. It was stable like a rock. I think it's in the water. Even if you don't think you added anything you may have. Lotion on your hands, a spray in the air, anything foreign can cause this. For me it's dosing phyto. If it were me (I get free natural seawater) I would do huge water changes and add carbon. But if you are making your own water I know this can be tough. If you do adjust the settings, MARK where they were before. That way when it gets under control you can go back to how you liked it. You can also try servicing the pump (cleaning it) and make sure to clean the venturi line.
Good luck,
FB

AZDesertRat
11/15/2006, 11:25 AM
Have you cleaned the air intake/venturi? Mine gets plugged with calcium and I ream it out with a small drill bit every week or so.

RichConley
11/15/2006, 11:59 AM
Is it one of the recirc ones, or the pump fed ones?

If its the non-recirc, restricted air intake will raise the water level significantly.

Fishbulb2
11/15/2006, 02:07 PM
T1000 should be a recirc. And it sounds like he tried adjusting the feed intake.

fran_franco
11/15/2006, 02:55 PM
I'm agree... I also think it's the water. I have almost stoped the flow into the skimmer and it keeps taking out water like crazy...

AZDesertRat
11/15/2006, 04:30 PM
The T1000 Classic in sump model requires a recirculation pump, normally a Rio or an Oceanrunner 2700 needlewheel. It also requires a source of water, either from a small pump or powerhead or from the overflow or other similar source. How are you feeding the skimmer? If you disconnect the air line how high does the water level come up in the riser column?
I feed mine with a MaxiJet 900 powerhead and flow seems about perfect. If I cut the air and remove the collection cup the water level just barely reaches the top edge of the skimmer body. If I connect the air tube back up bubbles just flow over the top of the body without the collection cup installed. If you levels are higher than that you may have too much flow causing the water to rise up in the collection cup portion when it should not.
Have you done any major water changes using any additives or chlorine removers/treatments? Lots of dechlorinators, slime coats and stuff makes it go crazy as it changes the surface tension of the water.