PDA

View Full Version : Another Star Fish

doesheya
11/15/2006, 08:27 AM
Can a red fromia get along with a purple or blue linkia star? And is there enough room in a 60 gallon tank for both of them?

dc
11/15/2006, 11:36 AM
Starfish don't tend to survive long term in our tanks, I'd pass on both of them.

doesheya
11/15/2006, 02:41 PM
Really. Why is that? Too little food? I already have a red fromia should I just enjoy him/her while I can?

chocolateblnt
11/15/2006, 04:45 PM
yEA ... NO one really knows what they eat. It's only a matter of time before they starve ... However I do have a buddy who has had a linkia and harlequin symbiosis for more than 2 years. He is an exception with his 55 gallon refugium with 70 lbs' of rubble and filled with chaeto. I'm sure there is food in there somewhere.

ophiuroid
11/15/2006, 04:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8550504#post8550504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by doesheya
Can a red fromia get along with a purple or blue linkia star? And is there enough room in a 60 gallon tank for both of them?

Neither, IMO, will survive long term in this size tank. Two means a quicker death for both as they compete for the same food. Their specific diet is unknown, but it is clear that they DO NOT eat "algae and detritus" or they would do fine in small, young, dirty tanks.

They more likely eat algal/bacterial films, the microscopic critters that eat it, and/or encrusting creatures on LR such as certain sponges, bryozoans, etc. Their survival appears to be quite highly correlated with the amount of surface area of LR.

I would not recommend either for any tank under 100g minimum with at least 150lbs of LR. Personally, for both, I would double it.

Now and then people do "get by" but please note these animals can take 18 months to starve to death. So always clarify that when people say "I've had it 3 months and it is great!" Others do get individual stars that will take to eating prepared foods, or otherwise are more tolerant of tank conditions.

Most Linckia and Fromia stars in this hobby will not survive a month in captivity - acclimation and shipping stress. Another large chunk will die in about a year of starvation. And it is relatively few that will make it beyond that point.

The common Fromia is very small and so people believe it will be fine in smaller tanks. I would keep that one and not add any other. If you are lucky, you will keep the Fromia long term. Adding any other similar reef safe star, IMO, puts both in a great deal of risk.