PDA

View Full Version : Can You Build XL Skimmers???

Horace
11/15/2006, 08:37 AM
Hey guys, I am building a skimmer for a fish store that will need to handle ~1500g of water. My initial plan was to use large PVC and a couple ocean runner pumps with an air pump for air injection. After reading about the performance of some of the pumps on here I am starting to think that the Ocean Runner is not worth the money.

If you were to buld a XL skimmer what pump would you choose? Would you do a tall skimmer, or a short and fat one???

The guy im building it for already has a ~6' tall 8" diameter PVC venturi skimmer than isnt hooked up. His current system has 3x 6' tall 6" diameter crappy venturi skimmers that just dont seem to work very well.

Please give me some suggestions....Thx guys!

Rendos
11/15/2006, 08:42 AM
Modify the skimmer that you already have, and make it a recirculating skimmer. 3 Ocean Runner needle wheel pumps will produce a lot of air in that size skimmer body without a lot of additional expense.

RichConley
11/15/2006, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8550589#post8550589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rendos
Modify the skimmer that you already have, and make it a recirculating skimmer. 3 Ocean Runner needle wheel pumps will produce a lot of air in that size skimmer body without a lot of additional expense.

Not really, you'll probably get less than 15 scfh for each pump with that amount of head.

55gal drum, pair of dart needlewheels.

Horace
11/15/2006, 09:34 AM
I guess what I am struggling with is the fact that a skimmer that tall will create a ton of head pressure on the pump so trying to build a pump that sucks a ton of air is pretty worthless I think. I think I would be better off using a pump that could just handle alot of air while keeping the bubbles small. Im now considering using some of the GenX pumps with a mesh needlewheel. They seem to be working quite well and even if I need to feed the skimmer air because of the head pressure, the bubbles should still be chopped nice an fine.

Thoughts?

Horace
11/15/2006, 09:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8550875#post8550875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Not really, you'll probably get less than 15 scfh for each pump with that amount of head.

55gal drum, pair of dart needlewheels.

Rich, if I feed the pumps with air the head pressure really isnt an issue right? Since I plan on feeding the pumps anyway, would it be just as good to use the cheaper GenX pumps w/ mesh mod?

As for the Dart skimmer...The only issue I have with that is how to mod the impeller. I guess I could try doing the mesh mod on the dart? Has this been attempted yet? I really dont want to have to have Spazz CNC me an impeller.

RichConley
11/15/2006, 09:37 AM
Horace, you may want to go with a large air pump.

Again, at 6' head, a dart will pull roughly 100 scfh using a needlehweel. It may pull more with a mesh wheel.

RichConley
11/15/2006, 09:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8550918#post8550918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
Rich, if I feed the pumps with air the head pressure really isnt an issue right? Since I plan on feeding the pumps anyway, would it be just as good to use the cheaper GenX pumps w/ mesh mod?

As for the Dart skimmer...The only issue I have with that is how to mod the impeller. I guess I could try doing the mesh mod on the dart? Has this been attempted yet? I really dont want to have to have Spazz CNC me an impeller.

Right, if you use a big airpump, the head isnt an issue, but the ORs can't take all that much. GenX may be a better choice, or maybe even some custom shrouded pumps. (I'm trying to get a 3" shroud on a maxijet right now...to see how much it can take)

Horace
11/15/2006, 09:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8550924#post8550924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Horace, you may want to go with a large air pump.

Again, at 6' head, a dart will pull roughly 100 scfh using a needlehweel. It may pull more with a mesh wheel.

So to be clear, if you were to use the current 6'x8" skimmer, what would you use? Injected GenX's? Spazz seems to think that a dart on a skimmer this size will not work well because of too much turbulance...

RichConley
11/15/2006, 11:23 AM
Isnt SMTJ's skimmer a 6' x 8" (or maybe 10") tube?

The GenXs are decent I'd think. Maybe a pair of 4100s on each skimmer? Should give you almost 100scfh each...

Horace
11/15/2006, 12:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8550934#post8550934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Right, if you use a big airpump, the head isnt an issue, but the ORs can't take all that much. GenX may be a better choice, or maybe even some custom shrouded pumps. (I'm trying to get a 3" shroud on a maxijet right now...to see how much it can take)

By shrouded you mean like Han's aquaclear mod? While that looks like it could be a pretty cool DIY, it also looks ghetto as hell and I dont want to build something that looks like that for somone else lol. If it was just going in my tank I wouldnt care that much.

I think I may have to go with the GenXs and maybe even get the the 5100 or 6100. Given that I dont care about the electricty (im not paying to run it lol), if it performs better then thats what I really care about.

spuzio
11/15/2006, 03:33 PM
I would consider building a skimmer from scratch. They sell PVC air duct that can be used, and is 24" in diameter and is relatively cheap, something like $50/ft and you can purchase the dome, about $75, for the top. The pump i would use a dart needle wheel that was re-circulating (it should be released to the public in Jan or early next year) with an alita air pump to power it. This will allow you to easily skim the 1500 gallon system. Plus it would be more energy efficient then running more than 3 genx pumps.

smjtkj
11/15/2006, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8551590#post8551590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
[B]Isnt SMTJ's skimmer a 6' x 8" (or maybe 10") tube?

The tubing is 14 inch diameter and the total height is 42 inches.

Mike

Horace
11/15/2006, 09:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8553456#post8553456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spuzio
I would consider building a skimmer from scratch. They sell PVC air duct that can be used, and is 24" in diameter and is relatively cheap, something like $50/ft and you can purchase the dome, about $75, for the top. The pump i would use a dart needle wheel that was re-circulating (it should be released to the public in Jan or early next year) with an alita air pump to power it. This will allow you to easily skim the 1500 gallon system. Plus it would be more energy efficient then running more than 3 genx pumps.

Do you have links to places to purchase the domes and PVC??

spuzio
11/16/2006, 06:31 AM
Domes: http://www.globalplastics.ca/default.asp?mn=1.179

PVC Duct: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=13834&product%5Fid=16848

Horace
11/16/2006, 07:31 AM
Thx for the links spuzio. Only problem is I would have to buy 10ft of the 24" duct. I would probably save a ton of $$ buying a 55g drum. Can this stuff be bought in like 4-5ft sections??

Has anyone done this yet btw? I have yet to see a 24" duct skimmer.

spuzio
11/16/2006, 07:35 AM
i found i place that sells it by the foot. So you do not have to buy the whole length. PM and i will send you the info if you want it.