PDA

View Full Version : got new rock, should I use KENT rock prep?

crazyguy34834
11/15/2006, 11:20 AM
I am starting a 100g aquarium and was wondering if I should use KENT rock prep to clean the live rock I got today or just put it in my aquarium.

I was wondering if there is any benefit to useing the rock prep because the tank has to cycle anyways.

Randall_James
11/15/2006, 11:48 AM
I would skip it

ken6217
11/15/2006, 11:52 AM
Don't waste your money. There is a product for everything even if it is useless. You should just fill up a garbage can etc with salt water, take a kitchen bristle brush and scrub the rocks. Pick off anything else that is dying or will be dying off. I would then take a powerhead and blow it at the rock and try to get into the cracks and crevices. Take the rock and put it in the tank (or wherever you are curing it).
Ken

sarduci
11/15/2006, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't even scrub it. Fill up the tank, put in the rock, turn on your skimmer and fire up your pumps. Check the skimmer daily for a month, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite every other day and add your clean up crew when you have your first major algae outbreak.

Blow off the rock every few days with a power head. It'll keep the crud from building up in any one spot on the rock.

If you scrub it you could damage/kill living things on the rock even more.