PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop System

jgosdin00
11/15/2006, 04:37 PM
Newbie here.

Please define a closed loop system and how I might go about creating one for my 72g Bow Front tank.

I have seen tanks that have been drilled and holes cut out and i would prefer not to have to go that route.

I have a MAG 9 for my return right now but that is running from my refugium to the tank itself. I then have 3 Maxi jet pumps (2x400, 1x900) but have been told that these will put off more heat than an actual closed loop system.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jeff G.

six.line
11/15/2006, 04:49 PM
A closed loop is a system where you have an intake to a pump and then the output of the pump is hooked up to a current direction switching device (usually a SCWD) that directs current for a few moments one way, then another. You could do one without drilling the tank (check out www.melevsreef.com for his example) but I highly recommend drilling the tank.

There are pros and cons, some pros, like you mentioned, less heat from the powerheads, removing of ugly equipment from the tank, bi-directional current which aids coral growth, etc...

The cons are that sometimes they restrict flow and can be difficult to setup. Your best options depend on your tank and what you want to do. I recommend just sifting through the forums (especially the DIY forum) until you feel like you understand well enough to do something.

Also, don't forget to investigate the maxi-jet mod. That can greatly increase your flow for very little money on the maxi-jet 900 that you have already.

HTH