PDA

View Full Version : dehumidifier

tuckrule
11/15/2006, 04:42 PM
I was just wondering if I ran the water extracted from a dehumidifier through an ro/di unit, would it be ok for a reef tank?

bertoni
11/15/2006, 04:54 PM
This question comes up fairly frequently and there are a number of threads on the topic, if you want some details. I would not use water from such a source, particularly if metal comes in contact with the water inside the device.

David Grigor
11/15/2006, 04:57 PM
Sounds like alot of trouble trying to plumb/pressurize to run through a RO/DI unit for such as small amount of water not to mention a close to 75% ratio is waste from a RO/DI unit anyway.

tuckrule
11/15/2006, 05:01 PM
good points. I just thought about the collection grid for the defumidifier. That would add metal to the water. I'm sure the RO/DI could filter it, but it would be very taxing on the filters. Not to mention too much work like David said

David Grigor
11/15/2006, 05:05 PM
Are you using, or have you seen the waste reduction of RO/DI units by using a second membrane ?

This mod would probably be a better idea if your trying to conserve water.

tuckrule
11/15/2006, 05:16 PM
I use all my waste water from the RO. It goes right into the washing machine. I just thought about the dehumidifier thing while I was emptying the bucket. - Just curious if it could be done or not. The point you made was pretty clear though about all the effort for such little water