PDA

View Full Version : Safe to run MH fixture with just one of two bulbs?

ACBlinky
11/15/2006, 05:03 PM
Just a quick question, I received one of the two MH bulbs for my new fixture (Catalina Ultralight), the other is on backorder. Is it safe to run with just one bulb, or should I wait until I have both? I'd like to start acclimating the corals, and most of them are located on one side of the tank, so if I can run just one until the other gets here I'd like to. There's only one switch for the halides (on the ballast), but ther eare two cords, one for each bulb, that feed into the ballast. Should I disconnect the one for the empty socket? I'm not sure how to figure out which one it is, I'd have to leave them both connected at first, run the bulb for the recommended 3-4h burn in period, and then unplug one of the two to see if the bulb stays on or goes out. Sorry for all the questions, I'm brand new to MH and have some learning to do :)

Thanks!

triplecrown
11/15/2006, 05:10 PM
That's a good question. I would think if they have separate switched (L and R) then it would be fine but if operated on one switch then maybe not. JMO so dont take my word for it but would like to know the answer as well.

Ursus
11/15/2006, 05:45 PM
Idk if it is safe or not, but I know I wouldn't feel comfortable with an open socket hanging over water. If you could get a burnt out MH from a friend, you could put that in as a sort of 'place holder'. I think that would be a lot safer than having an open socket.

ACBlinky
11/15/2006, 05:46 PM
I have two bulbs that arrived broken, the wire inside came unsoldered from the base inside - would that work? I figured it would be a safety hazard...

jimbo045
11/15/2006, 06:10 PM
Safe with 1, I use 2 of 3. JD

Ursus
11/15/2006, 06:11 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure if that would work or not. Maybe someone who knows more about MH could chime in.

Mike de Leon
11/15/2006, 07:13 PM
Hey ACBlinky,

What kind of bulb is it? is it SE or DE? Most stores locally have used bulbs that sell for $5. Some might give them away. Check around. Start with ReefRaft, 905 290 9693.
I also sent you pm btw...