PDA

View Full Version : starboard maintainence

reefinmike
11/15/2006, 07:58 PM
ive made the move to all out sps and i feel that if i were to get rid of my sandbed, put in more flow(behind rocks also, and keep up on water changes that my system will be good to go. i upgraded my flow recently and had to put Crushed coral on top of the sand to keep it down. since then, the crushed coral is looking nasty(dont have any hermits in my tank as of now(another story) but i couldnt see hermits working well on this.

basically im wanting to know how often you guys have to whipe down the board(if at all) and if siphoning is needed with good flow

also any good sites for starboard?

thanks

mike

Andrew
11/15/2006, 08:59 PM
I use HDPE sheeting which is pretty much starboard and I only have to clean it every 7-10 days or so.

Waxxiemann
11/15/2006, 09:30 PM
check out this site

http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/
I don't see why you'd have to wipe it off. You could just siphon out the detritus while you do your weekly water change. Eventually it will be covered in coraline.

HTH

dippin61
11/16/2006, 12:27 AM
i gave up trying to keep my starboard clean

stan zemanek
11/16/2006, 08:28 AM
i think unless you have MEGA turnover rates(100-200x) in your tank you will always need to siphon off the board every now and then. what i was doin was shutting the tank down every couple of weeks and using a turkey baster to blow the stuff off the rocks and then siphon it out . what i did'nt like about my starboard is unless you seal it to the bottom of the tank detrius is goin to get under it. i finally broke my tank down and pulled the board and believe me it was a mess under it. my tank is now setup with the rock sitting directly on the glass:eek1: here is the mother of all bare bottom forums

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164

Medicine Man
11/19/2006, 10:07 PM
What width of starboard should you have? IF you choose to use it?

dippin61
11/20/2006, 04:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8582210#post8582210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Medicine Man
What width of starboard should you have? IF you choose to use it?

doesnt really matter.. all it is for is to keep the bottom of your glass protected from rock slides etc etc.

and i assume you meant thickness

Medicine Man
11/20/2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks, thickness :D