PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on B-Ionic

krzyphsygy
11/15/2006, 11:36 PM
I was thinking of begining to use this and was wondering what you all thought about this product. I do not have a calcium reactor (yet) and my tank is mostly SPS corals and I have 3 clams in a 65gl!

Saldarya
11/15/2006, 11:53 PM
Nothing real glamorous to say other than it works as directed. I have been using this product for years in my 30G SPS tank. I say go for it.

krzyphsygy
11/16/2006, 12:00 AM
Well how much do you have to dose??? Is it daily weekly or what??

jdieck
11/16/2006, 12:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8556976#post8556976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krzyphsygy
Well how much do you have to dose??? Is it daily weekly or what??
If your Calcium and/or alkalinity are out of target range I will recommend adjusting their level independently before starting the two part supplementation.
Target Calcium 420 ppm and Alkalinity 3.5 meq/lt (9 to 10 dKh)
I will recommend adding it daily at night. The amount to add has to be adjusted to maintain your levels of Calcium and Alkalinity by matching the daily consumption of your system (all tanks are different)
One way to approximate the initial requirement is first determine your consumption and then use the calculator to determine the amount that will recover the volume measured during the test.
To determine the consumption, test your Alkalinity and test it again after 24 hours. During this period do not add any supplements. Use the difference in alaklinity to determine how much product you will need on a daily basis, this calculator can help:
http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chem_calc3.html

Enjoy!

BeanAnimal
11/16/2006, 12:48 AM
Save yourself some money and use a recipe like Randy's 2-part. Easy to make and costs A LOT less than B-IONIC

Froggy
11/16/2006, 04:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8557119#post8557119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Save yourself some money and use a recipe like Randy's 2-part. Easy to make and costs A LOT less than B-IONIC

I agree with beananimal. B-Ionic is a good product and works well but is pricey, especially if your tank demands are high.

Go to the chemistry forum on this board and find the thread about Randy's homemade 2-part supplement. $35.00 worth of B-ionic will cost you less than $5.00 to make on your own. The recipe is simple and not difficult to mix on your own. I have been using the home made supplement for over a year now and am very happy with the results and lower cost.

ezcompany
11/16/2006, 04:58 PM
whats the place to get dowflake in socal?