View Full Version : Huge Algae problem, Help needed

11/16/2006, 10:45 AM
Hello guys, a friend of mine is having a terrible problem with algae, he has been using RO/DI water, he says phosphate and nitrate levels are almost undetectable.

I would appreciate your help to ID this Algae and your advice on some critter that would get rid of this pest.

Neither tangs and snails seem to eat it .



Thanks !!!

11/16/2006, 10:53 AM
It's okay you can admit it. It's your aquarium, right?

Just kidding. What kind of snails, and crabs does "he" have?

11/16/2006, 10:55 AM
"IF" trates and phosphates are 0 then I resommend cutting down on feeding, lighting time and water changes.

11/16/2006, 11:25 AM
Check the N and P levels in the sandbed and rocks. The N and P could be getting used up by the algae before it makes it to the water column.

11/16/2006, 11:34 AM
judging by the bubbles on the algae, im gonna say that increasing flow should help a bit.

Other tips:
(1) reduce your light cycle
(2) check your param's closer (cause I doubt its 0 nitrate)
(3) increase water change frequency
(4) decrease pollution/feeding

And remember that only algae prevention beats manual removal!

11/16/2006, 11:50 AM
How old is the tank ?

11/16/2006, 11:51 AM
Remove it and stop feeding for a while. I stopped feeding for 2 months once and was amazed to see the fish only became fat.

I feed a small amount every other Sunday now.

11/16/2006, 01:32 PM
Remove it and stop feeding for a while. I stopped feeding for 2 months once and was amazed to see the fish only became fat.

Not easy to do with triggers roaming the premises.

11/16/2006, 01:40 PM
Probably the result of the triggers sloppy eating habits...

Lots of waste food floating around, decomposes and feeds the algae.

Harvest all you can
setup remote deep sand bed
More and larger water changes
Macro algae
control the amount of waste food by killing pumps and cleaning up after dinner (stopping feeding is not a good move IMO)
Blowout all the loose debris from rock (I bet there is a lot)
I might even vacuum the top 1" of the substrate

Main thing is patience... the stuff took some time to become an issue and will take time to eliminate.

11/16/2006, 02:36 PM
ha ha ha, No Fishysteve this is not my tank, but my friend is not good with English (and so with reefs neither ha ha ha)

Maybe a good idea will be to personally go to see his reef and check if his setup is running properly, water flow could be one issue and bad test reading also, I think the same... algae must be feeding on something!!!.
He has only two fishes (a naso tang and a clown fish) in a 100 Gal tank so I doubt overfeeding could be one cause. Tank is almost 3 months old.

Just to have the data, what is the cientific name of this algae? does it have a natural predator ?

Thanks to all for your answers

11/16/2006, 03:30 PM
I'm thinking about some urchins as an emergency solution, what do you think ?

11/16/2006, 03:31 PM
I would expect it is a feeding issue... looks to be bryopsis (hair algae) and the stuff thrives on excess nutrient in the water. I would look closely at the water change schedule as well

I would ask to see a feeding, I bet he dumps food in the tank (and maybe not even excessive amounts) but with 100G and only 2 fish, I bet a lot goes floating off into cracks etc.

Turning off pumps, feeding, removing uneaten will probably help a lot