PDA

View Full Version : Aussie shrimpers?

caynus
11/16/2006, 05:27 PM
Gday,

I was just curious if there are any other Aussies out there who keep mantis shrimp. I'm currently setting up the tank for a mantis and am curious about your experiences.

Obviously the reef market over here is vastly more expensive and restricted, but i do have ther advantage of being able to walk 50 metres down the road to the rock pools to catch mantis shrimp, or take a quick boat ride out to the reef.

I was just curious about your experiences, setup and the quality or quantity of fish stores the area. Cheers
Caynus

Jayded
11/24/2006, 02:59 PM
I have a peacock mantis.. I didnt catch it though. My LFS just gives them away if they get them.
I find everything more expensive here (except the mantis :lol: )

Qckwzrd
11/26/2006, 06:48 PM
would any of you aussies be able to ship mantis shrimp out of australia? like to NY?

caynus
11/26/2006, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't ship them, sorry.
I have no experience in shipping and dont think it would be fair to ship any animal, let alone a delicate marine animal half way around the world.
Plus i dont know if it is even legal to do it, Australia has really strict quarantine laws both in and out, and taking things off the reef is illegal in most spots, and definetely illegal everywhere if i intend to sell them.
Caynus

Jayded
11/27/2006, 03:16 PM
Yeh Im dont think we'd be able to ship outside AU without special permits etc. I know some breeders can do it but they are licensed to do so.

I cant tell if mines a purple spot mantis or peacock.. I think Purple spot (the LFS I got it from doesnt know alot abt them so they just said Peacock beause he was coloured.)
I need to try and get some good pics to identify him... hes still a bit shy and doesnt come out much.

Qckwzrd
11/27/2006, 11:13 PM
Thanx guys.