PDA

View Full Version : Aqua C remora causing surface skum? Help!

catalina goby
11/16/2006, 06:27 PM
hi

i have a year old reef tank, 65 gal with a wet/dri filter. i added a Aqua C Remora super around 4 months ago. ever since, sometimes i get alot of surface bubbles/skum on the top of my water surface.. the skimmer produces ALOT of microbubbles, has since day 1. the guy who makes it says that the skimmer is not causing the skum, but when it gets too bad, i have to actually TURN OFF the skimmer to get it to dissolve.

any help for this problem?

i appreciate it!!

thanks

:mixed:

dmo
11/16/2006, 07:21 PM
I contacted AquaC a couple months ago about a microbubble problem, and they agreed to replace the skimmer. My new remora also spews microbubbles into the tank, but has the added negative of causing foam buildup on the surface of the water.

AquaC support was really nice to work with, but I am done with the remora. This experience has caused me to install a sump under my tank, and now I'm shopping again for a new skimmer.

crumbletop
11/16/2006, 07:32 PM
Get a filter box for the remora. It pretty much eliminates the microbubbles, and it surface skims the water.

familyreefer
11/18/2006, 10:33 AM
I agree with crumbletop. I run a C on my 55 with the MJ1200 and the skimmer box. No bubbles anywhere!

UCanDoIt
11/18/2006, 11:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8562908#post8562908 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dmo
I contacted AquaC a couple months ago about a microbubble problem, and they agreed to replace the skimmer. My new remora also spews microbubbles into the tank, but has the added negative of causing foam buildup on the surface of the water.

AquaC support was really nice to work with, but I am done with the remora. This experience has caused me to install a sump under my tank, and now I'm shopping again for a new skimmer.

This is what I did too, but my Remora Pro was irritatingly noisy, so all my roommates complained about my tanks.

There's a couple of things you can do for the Remora:
1. Run a prefilter box so that the pump is pulling the surface oils into the skimmer to be eliminated
2. Make sure you have a good sponge on the other side of the prefilter box to trap all the microbubbles so they don't go back into the tank.
3. Stop feeding your fishes oily frozen foods, or after thawing, rinse them before you place into your tank. This helps reduce the amount of oils being introduced into your tank.