PDA

View Full Version : refugium help

caynus
11/16/2006, 08:18 PM
I was just wondering if it was possible to make my sump, into a sump/refugium?
Lots of people do it obviously, but my biggest concern is that my sand filter/and protein skimmer are in the sump also.

And i'm pretty sure this would vastly affect the growth of pods? Am i wrong? Has anybody had experience with this?

Basically I have a 15 gallow sump, bare bottom, with a sand filter and protein skimmer in it at the moment. I was thinking of adding some small rubble piles to encourage pod growth, and adding a light for macroalgal growth.
Would i just be wasting my time because of the skimmer and filter?
thanx in advance
Caynus

mcurl98
11/16/2006, 09:06 PM
I don't know what a sand filter is but can tell you I have a lot of amphipods and copepods in my sump and they haven't had a problem with the skimmer

monaca
11/16/2006, 10:02 PM
Please explain bare bottom sump with a sand filter??? I am not familiar with BB and sand filter?

tanker
11/16/2006, 11:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8564218#post8564218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by monaca
I am not familiar with BB and sand filter?

A sand filter is like a canister filter with sand. The sand in it swirls and the bacteria on the sand does the bio job of breaking down ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.

But back to the original question.....I have a refugy with a skimmer in it. Both my tanks have a refugy with Lots of LR and caulerpa and a skimmer. Have been working for years (about 7) like this.

caynus
11/16/2006, 11:28 PM
My sand filter is just like Tanker explained.

Thanx for the replies everyone too, i'll go and give it a shot tonight, and report back in a while and see how i go with the sand filter and pods